• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How Many Of You Watched Countryfile Last Night?

There is a chunk of society who effectively live outside the law as they don’t think it applies to them and don’t care for anyone or anything outside their circle of interest. They commit repeated low level offences that dont warrant jail (which is massively expensive to society) so they get fines which they pay off in low and almost continuous instalments and community service which they deliver with minimum effort!

The people leaving rubbish behind on Dartmoor know they are ruining it for others but they don’t care; they will go back when it’s banned because again they don’t care as society’s rules don’t apply to them!

Well I don't know the answer, the so called experts say it's all about educating them but you just can't educate some people

There is a chunk of society who effectively live outside the law as they don’t think it applies to them and don’t care for anyone or anything outside their circle of interest. They commit repeated low level offences that dont warrant jail (which is massively expensive to society) so they get fines which they pay off in low and almost continuous instalments and community service which they deliver with minimum effort!

The people leaving rubbish behind on Dartmoor know they are ruining it for others but they don’t care; they will go back when it’s banned because again they don’t care as society’s rules don’t apply to them!

Totally agree. I made my views about the right to roam and wild camping on Dartmoor clear in an earlier thread. My views do not align with some other folk on the forum, though I suspect there were some who agreed with me but didn't want to stick their head above the parapet. Whatever - finding the rubbish and crap left by these little scrotes makes my blood boil just as much as anybody here. It ef's it up for the vast majority of us, who are 'leave no trace' campers. For centuries the shooting fraternity has classified certain species as vermin, to be exterminated on sight. Many things are no longer considered vermin, but I think there is strong case for DEFRA to add irresponsible campers to the General Licence. ;)

I'm a bit late jumping on here but only watched countryfile on Sunday.

What strikes me is that there are always two sides to any argument, the land owners rightly aren't happy with the "seasonal campers" and the mess they create but that shouldn't be allowed to affect the "serious campers".

The problem is quite complicated as I see it, as there are several factors involved.

1. Lock down - with lockdown came the all new staycation and for many people Cornwall and Devon became the holiday location of choice. Sadly many of these people generally aren't the camping sort and as such have no idea of the rules and etiquette of places like the national parks they are more used to all inclusive hotels in Spain and such. As we saw with mask wearing at the time to many tourists had the attitude of "I'm on holiday I'll do what I want".
2. Urban migration - If where I live is anything to go by we have had a huge influx of outsiders due to the amount of new homes being built and many of these new comers tick the above box. They may never of had access to a national park before and come from areas where leaving their crap behind is the norm! Like wise the way these people drive on the national park, apparently in the last couple of years animal fatalities to cars driving to fast and not slowing down etc has gone up three fold, this can only be due to outsiders who aren't used to driving on a road where ponies, sheep and Cattle roam at will.
2. Education - All the above
4. A new breed of outdoors people. - Now here's my bug bear, I grew up with the take only photo's leave only foot prints ideology as I'm sure did most here. But the younger generations aren't quite there, they may be all very PC and saving the planet but I do feel there is a laziness that comes with it. As an example 3 weeks ago I was on the moors overnighting and went to a wooded area a fair distance from the road in this quiet little glade I found a bin bag of rubbish and a fire scar. I searched through the bag and found, among the usual cans of food and beer, several brand new tent guy ropes and two puncture repair kits. The people who left the rubbish could only have been mountain bikers, now I am not a fan of these people anyway but next day as I hiked out with all their rubbish it dawned on me that they aren't your traditional camper maybe?

What the answer is I don't know but I definitely agree with some of the sentiments expressed here, there should be a total none camping and BBQ rule anywhere within a a mile of any car park for starters that would be a good start.

Back