• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How Prepared?

Biker Bushcraft

Extremely Talkative
Let's get first aid under the microscope here ;) what courses have you done or been taught to gain the the knowledge in order to treat any potential casualties.

I did over 20 years in the Army and part of that as a battlefield first aid instructor, along with attaining a FPOSi (first person on scene intermediate) corse while curtesy of my FLCP (frontline close protection).

Let's get first aid under the microscope here ;) what courses have you done or been taught to gain the the knowledge in order to treat any potential casualties.

I did over 20 years in the Army and part of that as a battlefield first aid instructor, along with attaining a FPOSi (first person on scene intermediate) corse while curtesy of my FLCP (frontline close protection).

Can't seem to amend my post.
Was just going to add some of my experiences -
Given CPR and treated gunshot wounds to a sniper victim

TBH I haven't a clue, it was some time ago, it could have been St Johns Ambulance for all I know, I was sent on a course by my employer so that I could be the registered site first aider.

Got ya, it will have been them ;) it was St Johns that got me interested all them years back when I was a young lad.

I was in security, owned my own company, & I was an operative & bodyguard. Doing a first aid course was mandatory, & of course keeping it up to date was also compulsory. I have had to treat other people & give myself first aid. We have first aid kits in all the vehicles & in the house.
Keith.

Good post Biker.
Keith.

I keep a first aid kit in the car, and I've got another 4 or 5 in my stash, not your usual little bitty plasters and pain killers, these are ex army(Israeli I think) field kits I bought from a surplus store.

Did four St Johns' ambulance course's over the years and a special 2 day course run by a military instructor for gun shot and blast wounds.
However these were always just first aid, we were expecting to see an ambulance with paramedics turn up to take over
and convey to casualty etc.
However in a worst case scenario there will be no paramedics and no casualty department to relieve us of the necessity of further treatment.
I have found it a good idea to stock up on some medical kit from agricultural stores as the costs are less than from medical suppliers.

One thing I would advise for anyone who is CPR trained is, get a disposable CPR face mask and keep it in your purse/wallet. You can also buy suturing kits, sterile disposables and even defibrillators online.
If we were left in a situation where there was no paramedics, CPR would be practically useless without a defibrillator.

Like others here have said, a first aid course is something all adults should do.

public defibrillators are everywhere these days.

I wish! I was told this on my last first aid course so I decided to find out where they were kept in local towns around the Suffolk coastline. I've been very pro active about it because my sister has something called SCAD (artery dissection) and has already had two major heart attacks. So far I've had no luck in finding where these defibs are kept. I've had blank looks from both Boots and shopping centres and even tourist information has no idea who keeps one.

You can purchase a defib for around £250. Its probably the only purchase you'd ever make that you'd hope you never use. Carrying one around in your bag would be ridiculous but I was thinking more on the lines of, if there was a world disaster and we all had to try and be self sufficient.

I wish! I was told this on my last first aid course so I decided to find out where they were kept in local towns around the Suffolk coastline. I've been very pro active about it because my sister has something called SCAD (artery dissection) and has already had two major heart attacks. So far I've had no luck in finding where these defibs are kept. I've had blank looks from both Boots and shopping centres and even tourist information has no idea who keeps one.
there all over the place in Devon, even got one here outside the CooP and this is a small rural community.

We have them here as well, a phonecall to paramedics from an attached telephone give you the access code to unlock the secure case and the medics will talk you through triage and CPR before giving you instructions on how to use the defibrillator. They're designed to be used by laymen.

yes that's the ones, never seen one used in anger as they say, but we keep falling over them everywhere we go in the Westcountry.

The A&E hospital for this area is a 45mins to a hour drive away, for really serious cases- they don't bother with a road ambulance they bring in the air ambulance. you can sometimes hear it circling overhead looking for a landing spot.
even the maternity dept has been shut in our local cottage hospital( the entire hospital is due to close any day now- budget cuts) and any expectant mothers have to do the same 45mins to 1 hour trip, a lot of babies are going to be born in layby's in the future.

Last edited:

A simple Google found this defibrillator location map. Type in your location and bobs your mothers brother.;)

https://www.spservices.co.uk/news/Where-Is-My-Nearest-Defibrillator--AED_150.html

Back