• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How to dry out leather boots?

Isn't is risky to use the hair dryer?

It could perhaps change the leather somehow or open glued connections?

I think -at home or on travel in a hotel- it's good to suck away the moisture as first with toilet paper for one hour.

Than to take the paper out and use the hair dryer changing every minute the boot, for together 10 minutes, that the rest of moisture comes away from the inner surface, and than to stand the boots in a 25 cm distance from the heating, so that they stand directly in the air rotation of the room and are heated a bit.

In the morning pure leather boots are dry.

I am pretty sure, if we would heat the boots really dry with the hair dryer, instead of helping for a short time in the beginning, that would damage or destroy the boots, the leather itself would dry out in the outer areas faster than in the inner once.
That must damage it, even if the glue isn't effected.

Of course it depends on the boot.

With a hair dryer using a cold/non heat setting also helps dry the boot without the risk of damaging the leather. When I raced off road I also had a sort of fan heater with perforated ducts that just circulated cool air through my boots which also helped dry them.

Toilet maker superstars and leaves a mess, newspaper doesn’t. With reference to the cat litter I’m talking about ladies tights/stockings with a tight weave so no buts got out. The sausage was a loose fit so it could be inserted and bent around the corners of the boot (moto cross boots are like ski boots but stiffer!)

Back