• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
How To Wash And Lube Pellets

Guide How To Wash And Lube Pellets

Gambo

Slightly Talkative
Gambo submitted a new resource:

How To Wash And Lube Pellets - Guide On How To Wash And Lube Pellets

I have seen this question asked a few times recently, so I thought I would share my technique for "Prepping" Pellets with you all, I hope you find it is of benefit.

Firstly, find a deep, steep sided, round container or dish (preferably plastic). I advise a round container as when using a square or rectangular one, the pellets get trapped/stuck in the corners. Plastic is kinder to the pellets than either china or earthenware, never use a metal vessel as this will cause pellet damage....

Read more about this resource...

I think this is brilliant.
Thanks guys, gona try this when I get home.

May I suggest lubing with beeswax for springer pellets? Its an idea I got from Walrus, I cant find the post he put up about it but he did explain it very well (for a geordie:p)

I see pellet manufacturers supply pellets that can be bright like my recently opened tin of RWS .

AA pellets I have just opened a tin to see them dull .

Does anyone think that RWS employ grannies to wash thier pellets ?

I'd never heard of prepping pellets so thank you for the knowledge and reasons why, I will be starting the practice now. Do you think it worth while to pull through an Air rifle barrel after firing or is this a practice best left for Fire arms, as a new air rifle shooter im unsure what maintence is best for my rifle.

Can anyone tell me if there would be much if any advantage to doing this with prometheus pellets?

Hi Gareth

I have some old pellets that have oxydised and are covered in the white lead oxide, do yeu reckon this method will get rid of the powdery deposit??

I think i'll have a bash at it today, thanks ;)

thats a bit to anal for me lol:p think il leave the lube alone lol

Hi Gareth

I have some old pellets that have oxydised and are covered in the white lead oxide, do yeu reckon this method will get rid of the powdery deposit??

I think i'll have a bash at it today, thanks ;)

You could try putting them in some cola, I've heard that does the trick John.

Use car shampoo or hand wash instead,as washing up liquid has a high salt content,causing oxidisation!
Plain old wd40 is a cheaper alternative to pellets lube too.
If you wipe the swarf from the tin with a kitchen towel you can spray(dont go mad,1 quick spray will do)straight into it,then add the dried pellets and barrel roll them in the tin.
There is a slight difference in accuracy ,much cleaner to handle too!

I wash my pellets of when I get a new tin, I used to lube them with 3 in 1 oil until one day, some months later I found the oil had gone & just left a sticky mess. I now use wax furniture polish, £1 from the cheap shop & they don't tarnish or get sticky.

I wash my pellets of when I get a new tin, I used to lube them with 3 in 1 oil until one day, some months later I found the oil had gone & just left a sticky mess. I now use wax furniture polish, £1 from the cheap shop & they don't tarnish or get sticky.

3-in-1 and WD40 are petroleum-based penetrating oils, and are most definitely NOT recommended for use with air rifles! :eek:

Used on blueing, they can cause damage over time, and used on pellets, they can cause dieselling, especially in springers, which will harm accuracy and possibly the rifle's barrel.

As you say, a wax-based furniture polish, a pellet lube like Napier, or a silicone-based lubricant are the only things that should be used -- nothing petroleum-based on the pellets. For the blueing, a good gun oil like Ballistol will prevent rust caused by the fatty acids deposited in fingerprints, or the rifle getting wet.

After washing anybody tried lubricating pellets with Ballistol oil/water emulsion then drying?
Not me.

Ballistol is good for cleaning barrels, because it dissolves carbon deposits (for powder-burners) and loosens lead, but you are advised to remove any excess before shooting again.

Use Napier lube if you have to use something, it's designed as an air rifle pellet lube. Or use Ballistol, then post pictures of what happens when you fire through it. :alert:

Back to black car interior cleaner is silicone based and leaves a slick finish, I'll try some on my old tin of Marksman .177 for the Cadet.;)

Back