• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hows your weather boys

As a "girl" can l reply?
At dog walking time this morning it was -5.8 but increased to 1.9 by tea time. We had 2" snow earlier in the week and even the postman wouldn't come up the council road yesterday. He still wouldn't come up the track to our place today. The farmer opposite us got so fed up of deliveries not getting to his farm that he gritted the road himself. They're just not used to much snow here. Last year when the "beast from the east" caused the whole country to come to a standstill, we only had half an inch of snow.

Glad to see there are some of the 'fairer sex' on here, I pointed a friend here but she thought it was "too blokey" for her. Its whatever works for you I guess, I've come and gone from forums and sometimes just gone from forums because I didn't feel an affinity with them any more. I hope you keep reminding us that its not a 'boys club'.

Cold !

Oh!
We usually don't do that in Germany.
May be the reason, that it is missing in my dictionary.

;0)

English is a bit of a weird language, it's why most English people can't speak it or write it properly, it's more difficult to speak colloquial English than outsiders expect. Look at section 4 in the link

Oh!

Thank you for showing me this dictionary!

It is very interesting: Only "A sense of fatigue and hunger" has to be translated with "Ein Gefühl von Müdigkeit und Hunger."
Here in German we have to use "feeling".

And we don't use it for technical detection, where we would say "aufzeichnen, anzeigen" - "to draw down, to point out"

But ALL the other listed meanings in your link are totally identical used in German with the word "Sinn", (what is the correct translation of French and English "sense" of course.)

It doesn't work with "Bedeutung" -"meaning" and not with "Gefühl" -"feeling", which are only synonym in small parts of the meaning.

Here it is very well visible, that European academic circles had always been connected very tight. I think it is directly translated from the younger academic use of the Latin language.

I am really astonished about it.
They normed during the centuries the European way of thinking.

But I believe you, that british people have problems with their own language.

Sometimes it is very difficult to translate German to French. People in both countries think very different when they are constructing the sentences. The same content is sometimes spoken in a very different way.

And our printed "Hochdeutsch" is the lower Saxon dialect, the accent spoken between Bremen , Hamburg, Braunschweig and Hanover, where a lot of your ancestors come from. The current English mixed that language up with the totally different French.

I haven't any problems to speak French. But to translate to German, what I said two minutes ago in French, often is really complicated!

I understand if people who live in a country where both languages are spoken mixed together sometimes get headaches from it!

Many people from parts of Britain don't understand those from other parts of Britain. There are many different origins of people here, different areas have different accents and vocabulary as well as thinking differently.
No wonder we don't understand each other

Yes, I know.
A couple of years ago I worked as a gardener for half a year, because my agency had some problems. Gardening always had been my hobby, so I could do this job.

There was hired a Scot too, off course not the best studied man in the world.
And often I really didn't understand him.

And he didn't understand me.

Once I said to him "Ian, please bring the leaf blower with you, when you come back."

He came without it.

No Idea how they call it in Scotland.

I was told by others I wouldn't sound like a German, I would sound more like somebody from New Zealand. So it surely wasn't my fault.

But perhaps he simply had some problems with the ears...

A bit of a thread hijack here! lol

Another example of the variation in language in the UK:

My father was from Aberdeenshire in Scotland and used to switch back to the Doric dialect when speaking to my grandmother.

A snippet of translations from the above link:
  • far aboots? (Whaur aboots?) - Whereabouts? (Aberdeen is nicknamed "Furry Boots City" from a humorous spelling of faraboots - furry boots.)
  • far div ye bide? (Whaur div ye bide?) - "Where do you live?"
  • fit? (Whit) - "What?"
  • fit like? (Whit like) - A greeting, essentially, "How are you doing?"

Time to get this thread back on track, the weather is warming up a little here, what little snow we've had is now melting and the sky is blue once again.

Time to get this thread back on track, the weather is warming up a little here, what little snow we've had is now melting and the sky is blue once again.
Pretty much the same here Ystranc ,a bit chilly in the wind

Rain and high winds forecast here but the temps are WARM...9c - 12c :eek:

Forecast for the lads up north is for a lot of rain :(

2.2C at the moment here. Rain forecast around midnight. Cosy in front of the fire.

A bit manky here but at least the frost has gone...I spent the day doing some of next years firewood.

No real need to but I lit the wood burner, opened a bottle of wine and have a plateful of mature cheddar/sliced apple and grapes in front of me :) I feel a stiff Calvados or two calling me later while I watch 'The Day the Earth Caught Fire' 🆒

Back