• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hydroponics

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
I am think of setting up a hydroponics system in Polly tunnel next year using a 12v pump , a lorry battery and a solar panels
search

and using 4 inch pipes , I don't know much about it at the moment ,but looks like a fun project

has anyone else tried growing with hydroponics

Attachments

• hydroponics.jpg
    hydroponics.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 140
I've looked into it and another of my must finish projects.
Loads of decent Tutorials on YT about it but a step by step record of your adventures with phots would be really useful.

yea it will be an over the winter project and yea I will put photos up as I make it and how it works
I have a large Polly tunnel so should be easy to do

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_160947336.jpg
    IMG_20170629_160947336.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 141
Now that's an idea.nice post mate :thumbsup: Am also planing a green house in the back garden. A could look into this a bit more. Why did you choose this over a traditional green house?

Now that's an idea.nice post mate :thumbsup: Am also planing a green house in the back garden. A could look into this a bit more. Why did you choose this over a traditional green house?

the first thing was the size , the one I have is 6 meters long by 3 meters wide ,and I think I paid about £120 for it
which is cheep compared to a glasshouse
and because it is much bigger than a standard size 8x4 glasshouse , it can get much hotter and stay hot longer
the only problems I have had is that the humidity can get very high if not opened up when the sun is strong
but besides that I am very happy with it. it is the second year of having it this year and I am having good results with it
I have had a bumper crop of tomato's "money makers" variety , beetroot, sweet corn, cucumbers, carrots,
I try onions twice but no good , to humid for them , need to be out side same as potato's
but I grow the potato`s in bags and started them off in the Polly tunnel and then put them outside
when you have plenty of room you have a lot of options

I can take and upload more photos if you want to see anything in more detail

the first thing was the size , the one I have is 6 meters long by 3 meters wide ,and I think I paid about £120 for it
which is cheep compared to a glasshouse
and because it is much bigger than a standard size 8x4 glasshouse , it can get much hotter and stay hot longer
the only problems I have had is that the humidity can get very high if not opened up when the sun is strong
but besides that I am very happy with it. it is the second year of having it this year and I am having good results with it
I have had a bumper crop of tomato's "money makers" variety , beetroot, sweet corn, cucumbers, carrots,
I try onions twice but no good , to humid for them , need to be out side same as potato's
but I grow the potato`s in bags and started them off in the Polly tunnel and then put them outside
when you have plenty of room you have a lot of options

I can take and upload more photos if you want to see anything in more detail

That would be great swamp rat. You may have changed my mind on the glasshouse.

A guy I used to work with had a fan mounted in the end wall of his poly tunnel, perhaps it could be possible to run one on solar PV through a thermostat or something so that it only came on when it was needed?

Why hydroponics, Swamp Rat? You seem to be doing really well growing conventionally. Are you intending to turn the whole polytunnel over to hydroponics or will you leave space for other types of cultivation?

thats a great idea ystranc about the fan , that is something I will look into , no Barbara I wont be turning the whole
tunnel into hydro just a small part

Thanks for sharing mate:thumbsup: and my mind has been changed. A think one of them would look nice in my garden

I am glad I can add something to the forum , as I have already learnt a lot of stuff off here

Your cucumbers are better than mine! Slugs are a great problem here despite a family of hedgehogs in residence. Next year l'm increasing my use of copper tape. How did your sweetcorn do? Do you get enough of a through breeze to pollinate it?

yea copper tapes does work ,and I put lots of egg shells around the plant ,plus the calcium is good for the soil
yea the sweet corn is great , there is nothing like fresh fresh sweet corn because when you pick it the sugars
start tuning to lose there sweetness , there is not any breeze of sort in the tunnel , but I just plant them in a block
and shake them everyday once they flower lol

yea copper tapes does work ,and I put lots of egg shells around the plant ,plus the calcium is good for the soil
yea the sweet corn is great , there is nothing like fresh fresh sweet corn because when you pick it the sugars
start tuning to lose there sweetness , there is not any breeze of sort in the tunnel , but I just plant them in a block
and shake them everyday once they flower lol
l haven't grown sweetcorn successfully here as the summers aren't really warm enough although l did grow it when l lived in Wiltshire. l think a polytunnel might have to go onto my Christmas list so l can have a go again 'cos you're right about the taste. l remember "have the water boiling before you pick the cobs".
l also read that slugs don't like coffee grounds but you are NOT allowed to use them as a pesticide. You can, however use them around your plants as a mulch. Trouble is, l don't like coffee so l will have to persuade OH to drink more.

Back