• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hypothetical Pheasant advice...

BilloPad

Slightly Talkative
If I were walking on a footpath through a public woodland and my shoelace broke and I decided to fix it, and in the process of fixing and tying the knots, perhaps maybe I was singing, as is my want on a sunny day, and my voice was to startle a pheasant causing it to swoop down and get his head stuck in my shoelace, killing the poor sod stone dead, well if all those things happened, just how much trouble could one get in if in want of not wasting the tasty beast one took it and ate it??

Don't get me wrong, if all those things happened I'd immediately buy a lottery ticket! But just asking cos the internet's a bit vague...

If I were walking on a footpath through a public woodland and my shoelace broke and I decided to fix it, and in the process of fixing and tying the knots, perhaps maybe I was singing, as is my want on a sunny day, and my voice was to startle a pheasant causing it to swoop down and get his head stuck in my shoelace, killing the poor sod stone dead, well if all those things happened, just how much trouble could one get in if in want of not wasting the tasty beast one took it and ate it??

Don't get me wrong, if all those things happened I'd immediately buy a lottery ticket! But just asking cos the internet's a bit vague...
Under English law you. Could be charged with poaching, but your mate could legally take it

Yeah... Do you know what the punishment is? To be honest I could keep myself fed on roadkill where I live and to be honest I'm going to start picking them up I recko... There can't be that much wrong with them that 180*c for an hour won't kill...

Now rabbit squirrel pigeon you would be fine as they're not classed as game

Yeah... Do you know what the punishment is? To be honest I could keep myself fed on roadkill where I live and to be honest I'm going to start picking them up I recko... There can't be that much wrong with them that 180*c for an hour won't kill...
Roadkill is fine Billo, as long as it's not you who killed it and that includes venison

I thought roadkill would be OK...
I just wondered if I could snare one... It seems no probs if you have landowners permission, but I wouldn't even know where to begin there... I've looked online to see what might happen if I were to just say sod it and do it. It seems I'll either be transported to Australia, or asked my name and address and told to begger off... Both seem win win!

I thought roadkill would be OK...
I just wondered if I could snare one... It seems no probs if you have landowners permission, but I wouldn't even know where to begin there... I've looked online to see what might happen if I were to just say sod it and do it. It seems I'll either be transported to Australia, or asked my name and address and told to begger off... Both seem win win!
Defo a hanging offense where you live mate. Talk to local farmers about snaring rabbits. They're fair game all year round and most farmers are glad to be rid of them

Caution on leaving Snare - if your out walking somewhere there is a good chance others may walk there , with their Dogs let off the lead... I'd rather not have a potential pets death on my conscience.

The guidelines for Snaring as I know it is:-

1) Have Permission in the 1st Place
2) Be able to check the Snares at Least Twice a day to minimize animal distress and suffering.

Honestly , I rather suggest you buy an Airgun and find a permission to help a farmer by clean shooting any Edible Vermin he has. Snaring is an equal opportunity killer with zero discretion.

Or consider a Ferret and learning how to use it.

OH had a cat in her teenage years which was always getting caught in snares, it had some sense that cat, it wouldn't struggle but just howl for help until someone came.

OH had a cat in her teenage years which was always getting caught in snares, it had some sense that cat, it wouldn't struggle but just howl for help until someone came.

Yep. I've got a lot more time and understanding of most animals than I do have sympathy with People.

The hypothetical pheasants up here are going to be safe today. Cold wet and miserable
ditto here Joe, although it should clear by lunchtime.
there will be some wet pheasants hiding in the hedgerows.

Pheasant season is 1st October to 1st February Joe, they are into their breeding season now.

Back