• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

I don’t know where I stand on this one

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I’m very unsure how I feel about this situation. It’s difficult because I’m all for sporting shooters to be able to enjoy a well organised driven shoot however I see this arrest of one of the saboteurs on a pretext and a bit heavy handed because at the very least he will receive a caution or be bound over. There was no evidence that the knife owner was brandishing a weapon or involved in affray. This strikes me as police using knife laws to punish someone for something other than knife crime.
Nearly all members of the bushcraft community own and carry similar knives to the one pictured in the article (not necessarily the one that was involved in this arrest and probably a stock photo off the internet) I dislike the idea that the police may behave towards me in the same manner.

Last edited:
I’m under the same view after reading that Mike, very clear that the police used the knife as reason to apprehend the old guy.(within there power am afraid) however i must say, he’s a bit daft taking the bloody knife in the first place 🤦🏻‍♂️ Bad move in his part, I would think you would want to be squeaky clean when your out protesting. Hopefully the old chap gets a slap in the wrist…. Dose seem over the top tho and something they could have overlooked provided he didn’t have previous.

Last edited:
I know what you mean.
I've carried a uk legal pocket knife since I was a teenager currently an army style blade and can/bottle opener.
But I bet I could cause as much if not more damage to a person with the delphin knife that lives in the side pocket of my work trews Monday to Friday.
My goto knife is a folding lock knife of Whitby vintage that goes in my pocket if I'm about the farm doing "stuff"
Carrying a knife should be a perfectly normal thing for a person to do but it's been spoilt by idiots.
The knife if of legal dimensions should not be an issue for the police in any way, if its not a legal carry then his reason for carrying it when protesting is difficult to see.

I’m very unsure how I feel about this situation. It’s difficult because I’m all for sporting shooters to be able to enjoy a well organised driven shoot however I see this arrest of one of the saboteurs as a pretext and a bit heavy handed because at the very least he will receive a caution or be bound over. There was no evidence that the knife owner was brandishing a weapon or involved in affray. This strikes me as police using knife laws to punish someone for something other than knife crime.
Nearly all members of the bushcraft community own and carry similar knives to the one pictured in the article (not necessarily the one that was involved in this arrest and probably a stock photo off the internet) I dislike the idea that the police may behave towards me in the same manner.
The law regarding the carrying of a knife is pretty clear cut Mike, You can carry an identical knife on your own property, we can carry similar knives when we're wild camping but I can see no good reason to carry one when your protesting or otherwise at a hunt meet. The person in question is going to have to come up with a bloody good reason for carrying the knife.
Knife crime (mostly gang related) is on the rise and the law does not discriminate, You carry an illegal knife and your going to get arrested its as simple as that

It’s possible the protester in question was wild camping near by and forgot he had his camp knife on his person? It looks to me that he was arrested based on the protest side of things and the knife was used (within there power) as a
“Got You” the question for me is , would he have been arrested if he wasn’t a protester ? also with the names that were on the article he was amongst, and pissing off the jolly old boys club of shooting who probably know the chief of police which in turn would sway any outcome of any arrest on that day….. or I’m looking to much into things 😂 anyway he’s a daft old bugger for taking the knife along with him 🤦🏻‍♂️

He may be able to argue that he had it for legitimate reasons but in conjunction with attending a protest I doubt he will get very far. It seems like high profile people are on both sides of this shoot/protest situation.
I agree that he was foolish to take such a knife on this protest and it will probably also count as an aggravating factor if he is charged with anything else.

Until we see the actual knife he was carrying we are all guessing.
The one in the article is most likely a stock image because we all know how some journalists like to do meaningful research 🤨

Back