• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ideas Up To $200.00 Or 100 Pounds.

Keith

Very Addicted
XMAS_POSTER.jpg
Okay, Xmas is coming, can anyone offer any gift ideas other than grog or smokes! No survival gadgets please:eek:
Keith.

We go with only the most minimal of presents as we are appalled by the annual UK greedfest that lasts in the UK from mid-November to mid-January.

I am not a religious person, but I genuinely feel that the emphasis should shift back towards the real religious meaning and celebration and the mass spend cease accordingly.

I am sure the real St Nicholas (a Turkish monk who gave food and small gifts to the poorest in his village) would be appalled by his modern representation.

Bah Humbug!

wife and I aren't Christian and don't celebrate Christmas, although we do exchange gifts.
most of the stuff you see advertised at Christmas is just so much tatt, people are getting themselves into (more) debt for what amounts to a load of rubbish, got some distant relatives who are heavily in debt and for what? most of what they bought is just absolute rubbish but they still keep buying this stuff.

We go with only the most minimal of presents as we are appalled by the annual UK greedfest that lasts in the UK from mid-November to mid-January.

I am not a religious person, but I genuinely feel that the emphasis should shift back towards the real religious meaning and celebration and the mass spend cease accordingly.

I am sure the real St Nicholas (a Turkish monk who gave food and small gifts to the poorest in his village) would be appalled by his modern representation.

Bah Humbug!
I have to agree with you there, so much money is wasted on superfluous gadgetry. But I rarely spend money on myself. So on Birthdays & Winter Solstice I search for something. Invariably I don't find anything, because my brain is fixed on needs rather than wants, so I thought I would start this topic to see what people might come up with.
Xmas in summer over here never feels like Xmas, but I still have memories of Xmas in the UK. As a kid in the UK Xmas meant presents, but not like it is these days, I don't recall ever getting more than one present, & a bow one year & an air rifle another year were the best presents I ever recieved. As a teen Xmas was about atmosphere & decorations & snow, & that is what I miss most in Australia:(
Keith.

i remember my late uncle and aunt talking about visiting their eldest son in Australia and having Christmas lunch on the beach!!!

wife and I aren't Christian and don't celebrate Christmas, although we do exchange gifts.
most of the stuff you see advertised at Christmas is just so much tatt, people are getting themselves into (more) debt for what amounts to a load of rubbish, got some distant relatives who are heavily in debt and for what? most of what they bought is just absolute rubbish but they still keep buying this stuff.
Same here, we prefer to celebrate Winter Solstice. But our family has grown now & there are more children so they end up with an Xmas & a Winter Solstice:) We decided years ago that we would exchange handmade gifts, but over the years we have sort of run out of ideas as to what to make that would be of real practicle value.
Keith.
Winter_Solstice_2011_016_REDUCED.jpg
Having fallen asleep from the heat of the fire during our Annual Winter Solstice Masquerade Party.

We do celebrate Xmas with the kids but it’s all about giving and spending time with each other. However a do love the look on my kids faces when they open there presents :D we’re not a religious family however I do like to think something is there and leve it open for my kids to make there own choices on that matter. Come on lads it’s the festive season :D:xmas-biggrin::xmas-biggrin:

I don't have to worry about relatives at my age, most have passed on I've got a male cousin in Australia who is in a nursing home, a female cousin who lives 25 miles away in a rented farm cottage with her husband and a half sister who lives in Berkshire, that's it.

As nominal Christians, we celebrate Christmas but don't go mad on presents. My mother at 88 can't think of anything she wants so l make up a hamper of foods l know she likes. Our siblings and our sons also get hampers of local (where possible) foods including pork from the pigs mentioned elsewhere and jams and pickles l've made over the year. Present giving can become a minefield of wrong things and "l gave you things worth more than the things you gave me" if you're not careful. l think our younger son had it right the year he wanted a black comb and purple bubble bath. (He did get them but a few more things aswell)

As nominal Christians, we celebrate Christmas but don't go mad on presents. My mother at 88 can't think of anything she wants so l make up a hamper of foods l know she likes. Our siblings and our sons also get hampers of local (where possible) foods including pork from the pigs mentioned elsewhere and jams and pickles l've made over the year. Present giving can become a minefield of wrong things and "l gave you things worth more than the things you gave me" if you're not careful. l think our younger son had it right the year he wanted a black comb and purple bubble bath. (He did get them but a few more things aswell)

I hope you don't mind me asking (and, of course, you don't have to answer) but how do you view the consumerfest that happens every Xmas these years Barbara? To me it all feels so contrary to the Gospel teachings.

We have been seeing an advertisement on TV that is promoting the idea of asking an older person who might be lonely to come to Christmas dinner.
I asked the family if we should have an old person over for dinner but they said they'd prefer goose.

I hope you don't mind me asking (and, of course, you don't have to answer) but how do you view the consumerfest that happens every Xmas these years Barbara? To me it all feels so contrary to the Gospel teachings.
No l don't mind you asking. Of course, the midwinter celebration predates Christianity in this country and knowing people wouldn't stop celebrating, the Church craftily added the birth of Jesus to it to give them an excuse. l think it is sad how nowadays the Christmas celebration has become more of a competition with everyone needing to have the "perfect" Christmas when in reality it turns out to be less so. Why do people feel they have to get into debt in order to give their children the "must have" toy of the year. The Anchor Spreadable advert with the squeaky elephant shows how children don't need expensive toys. (And every mother of young children in the land knows exactly how the mother in the advert feels) A 2 year old will have more fun with the box it came in than with most toys. My boys were no exception and had as much fun playing they were cats using tinsel as tails as they did decorating the tree with it. Sadly, l think those of us who prefer to live with less are in a minority in these days of big bucks advertising.

We have been seeing an advertisement on TV that is promoting the idea of asking an older person who might be lonely to come to Christmas dinner.
I asked the family if we should have an old person over for dinner but they said they'd prefer goose.
And l thought it meant you had to feed them, not eat them. My mother is coming at Christmas but as she's a tough old bird (sorry mum) we'll have lamb to eat instead. You made me laugh!

No l don't mind you asking. Of course, the midwinter celebration predates Christianity in this country and knowing people wouldn't stop celebrating, the Church craftily added the birth of Jesus to it to give them an excuse. l think it is sad how nowadays the Christmas celebration has become more of a competition with everyone needing to have the "perfect" Christmas when in reality it turns out to be less so. Why do people feel they have to get into debt in order to give their children the "must have" toy of the year. The Anchor Spreadable advert with the squeaky elephant shows how children don't need expensive toys. (And every mother of young children in the land knows exactly how the mother in the advert feels) A 2 year old will have more fun with the box it came in than with most toys. My boys were no exception and had as much fun playing they were cats using tinsel as tails as they did decorating the tree with it. Sadly, l think those of us who prefer to live with less are in a minority in these days of big bucks advertising.

I feel it has become an excuse to relieve us of our money and, has hence, become an institutionalised peer group pressure situation. I guess it's what it is.

A would agree with that.....but I have to say I do get what my kids ask for...luckily I don’t have greedy kids lol.

:xmas-biggrin:Well I always get myself a little something this year I'm thinking I might like a metal detector:xmas-biggrin:

Back