• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Idle thoughts...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
The lads camping in the Galloway Forest started me on this line of thought,..... about Midges...:thumbsdown:. A little reading up on them told me a lot I didn't know. I knew they don't like breezy conditions but apparently a wind of 7 mph is the magic number, any higher and they are grounded according to the Boffins who ran the tests..and only lady Midges bite it seems..Fancy that! The other thing I learned was, no matter how cold/severe the winter there is no significant effect on their numbers the following summer. They are tucked up warm and snug deep in the ground in their pre flight form.

I was thinking of a motorcycle/wild camp North of the border this year, and in view of my one and only previous experience with the little gits, I wanted to avoid them as much as possible if at all possible. Looks like the period between mid May and mid to late September is the time to avoid. Two days with my eyes swollen almost shut after a night as Midge meal, even though many years ago, has left me a bit wary of them..:sad:

One of these helps....

921-df8b2f205b3b.__CR71,0,768,1024_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/159072...tzDqdF2OYlU1BQQhD7EaAhiKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• 921-df8b2f205b3b.__CR71,0,768,1024_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg
    921-df8b2f205b3b.__CR71,0,768,1024_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 15
The best thing iv found (apart from above )is Avon skin so soft👍🏻

you do have more choices
Like a flamethrower, or take a friend to offer up:D:rofl:

Dead right Bam, but then I was young, inexperienced and lacked local knowledge...stupid is probably a better description I suppose...:D

I've told this yarn elsewhere, but it might amuse the blood thirsty...:lol:
I was 17+ and an Ordinary Seaman in a Merchant ship at the time. We had sailed from Bremen in Germany, gone "Round the top," Cape Wrath, and down past the Western Isles into the Clyde. She was a brand new ship and we were going to Prince's Dock (Which is now a Garden Park or similar I believe?) for minor adjustments to her generators.

I had enough sea time in then to allow me to take my AB's (Able Seaman) exam which I was going to do in Glasgow.
It was late June and the exam was in July and I had some shore leave owing. I jumped into a taxi, crossed the river and went shopping in Sauchiehall Street (Spelling?) At a camping shop, bought a cheap nylon tent, this was 1961..a summer sleeping bag and some pots and pans and camping Gaz stove...ready for the big adventure.

I went to a place called Aberfoyle by bus, and then managed to get a lift in a lorry and was dropped off somewhere North of Aberfoyle. Great, I'm Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett or a mountain man...Hadn't got a clue!! I was a Seaman, for goodness sake and I'd only camped as a nipper on formal camp sites.

Tent up in the woods about 1 pm, lovely day, very warm, blue sky...Then came the evening..very still, no breeze and the Midges came out in squadrons. I didn't last long they drove me potty, so I cleared a space and lit a fire which was only partly successful. In the end I decided to hide in the tent...looked in the tent and found it was full of Midges!!!
No problem. Take burning stick from fire, shake the flame out and hold smoking stick in tent, that will shift the little gits... Yep, tent nicely full of thick white smoke, quick, stick out and throw on fire as I zipped the tent door shut..
That's funny...the stick looks shorter than I thought...Bloody Nora..the end of the stick has dropped off in the tent!! :eek:

One of the many problems with buying cheap 1960's nylon tents was the zips often used to get stuck....I watched while flames rose in the tent as the sleeping bag caught fire as I tugged at the tent zip.
Eventually the nylon tent (blue) and the nylon sleeping bag (red) formed a congealed melted blob on the forest floor.
I dug a hole filled it with water and sank the remains in the hole and backfilled it and then began the long trudge back to the road as the light faded.
I found a wooden bus shelter and a notice that said the next bus was at 10am the next day...Great only 13 hours to wait. I slept on the wooden bench and the Midges found their way through the spare T shirt that I wrapped around my head in a failed attempt keep them away.

I got some funny looks on the journey back to my ship, looking like I had been beaten around the head with a Cricket Bat. Clambered up the ship's gangway and the first words the Second Mate said were, " You been scrapping then?".....
In the ensuing 58 years I've learned a few lessons....:lol:

:lol: Every day's a school day eh Sax ?

They're horrible wee things that can ruin a trip. Out of season is best or at least go prepared, midge net and gloves and/or something like the Skin so soft or Smidge spray both of which I've tried and seem to work. Bothies are good too as they don't like to go inside but the midgies are part of a trip to certain parts of Scotland unfortunately.

I've got a couple of head nets now that I've used elsewhere so I know they work for me, but I haven't tried the Avon stuff yet.:thumbsup:

I've got a couple of head nets now that I've used elsewhere so I know they work for me, but I haven't tried the Avon stuff yet.:thumbsup:

Its their biggest selling product in Scotland apparently. We used to get it in bottles with a 'pour lid' then they realised why everyone was buying it so put a spray lid on it and in smaller bottles. It smells a bit 'pretty' but it works. The Smidge is also in a smaller metallic container and does the trick, I keep a headnet and tin of Smidge in the top of my rucksacks 'in season' and when I mind I take a second headnet.

Don't let them put you off a trip to sunny Scotland mate, while Matt and Neil might say differently for now, there's some stunning scenery to make it worthwhile. :)

Id move up there to live in a heart beat mate :thumbsup: but the miss,s is having none of it while her dad is still on this planet ....

Hmmm, how 'flexible' is the swap section on the forum ???????? :eek:

I'm no expert on the subject but I believe that coastal camping means less chance of midges as there's often a good breeze.
There is a coastal run up the west to Applecross which is very popular with bikers.
I use a head net, gloves and 'Smidge' or 'Nordic Summer' which smells like an old campfire but works well for me.

Back