• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

I'm a closet tree hugger do I need help!

William Tell

Slightly Obsessed
Normal, I'm proud to say I'm not. I'm rather special actually. Coming out and saying the trees are alive sounds rather mad.
Driving round I often see an occasional massive solitary Oak, standing proud, stretching to the sun and fresh air.
Stopped at a pub in Suffolk the other day, there was this ancient Oak, right smack next to the pub. Had a girth so large you could park a car inside it. Hollow and gnarled around six to eight hundred years old. The history that's seen. The pub wasn't called The Oak strangely.
The landlord was a friendly bloke so I asked why not?
I have absolutely no idea John he said. How old is it Bruce? Nope, don't have a clue. Bruce shouted out "anyone know how old the tree is" lol.. A faint echo of throw the sheep flagger out!! no one knew or cared. I'm a bit death, may have misheard that a bit. Thy were so very lucky, but seemed not to know it.
Now if you find an old wood unspoilt and as nature intended, dense with trees it's like being in church. I'm lucky to have such a place walking in there is real freedom. Solitude is like a religious experience. Sounds daft, but If I take a quiet moment, don't laugh, I won't say hug but that sums it up best, I feel the trees alive, not that it's going walkabout, it's truly alive, in a far more special way. More than just a tree, it's a sanctuary of life. A haven for the birds and Deer and squirrel the water the air and light, summer and winter changing growing. Early morning and late evening, escape into Fangorn to be re humanised by the trees.
I don't Ned to camp its next door my garden joins it. When you look forward to something like a reward after a days absurdities, a bottle, fag or cup of tea, it's place I want to be.

Hi John.

Well.....we are both mad then mate because I feel the same as you regarding the mystery and fascination that trees hold:thumbsup:
I will admit to patting them too:rolleyes::D

Squirrels you say....hmmm......they are the forests worsed enemy ever and cause unbelieveable damage.....and not just to the trees we love.

Which is why I shoot as many as I possibly can:)

They are lovely creatures and fun to watch and I actually do like them....but the numbers are way out of hand and need culling.

See out and about section "Hunting" :thumbsup::D:D

Welcom m8 nice intro...I myself may have hugged a tree once or twice (after a beer or two) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the bushy welcome buddies.
It's lovely to be with such like minded folk.
Mad yes, being normal is so very average, nothing special about that.
I am known by some for my plinking inabilities.
I have done the hunting thing. Killed all manner of things. I have seen two pairs of squirrel the average ordinary kind, infestation no. Indigenous they are unlike the Magpie to which I take exception. As a young farmer I loved to shoot Pigeon and Rabbit not because they were vermin but because I liked it, bloods up the chase is on.
Not going to go on about it but being older I realise watching the wildlife is more rewarding than shooting it. Not the heart for it, there by grace of god go I sought of thing, reap as you sow Say's I, give mercy to receive it. At the mo I've only seen four squirrel and my forresty bit can stand it. Like Rabbits don't actually have many, like to see them hopping about eating the grass. I have foxes for that nature takes care of it's own. Bloke said to me "I see you have Rabbits can I shoot them, they're a nuisance" NO. Not long after the same bloke asked can I shoot your foxes I see you have youngans running about, NO they eat the Rabbit's.Had a pet Turkey once running around with the geese getting fat for Christmas. When the day came getting ready to do the foul deed I heard heavenly singing!! Mad not quite, Carroll singers with the Vicar called, I was axe in hand.
Could not kill Fred after that. Had a Kong and happy life, till the damned foxes got him.

Not many people stop to actually look a tree up and down in detail.
Personally I like to look for the "Tree Spirits".......yes....they do exist naturally aswell as carved:D
I had some amazing pictures of faces and animals before my blasted computer hard drive fried....lost them all:(

This type of thing....( Google photo not mine:thumbsup:)

6b61c7bb740bc6c351e763a658d120be.jpg

Here is a good oppurtunity to add a Tree Spirit photo to the forum photo competition.

Get your cameras out lads and see how many you can find :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have done the hunting thing. Killed all manner of things. I have seen two pairs of squirrel the average ordinary kind, infestation no. Indigenous they are unlike the Magpie to which I take exception. As a young farmer I loved to shoot Pigeon and Rabbit not because they were vermin but because I liked it, bloods up the chase is on.
Not going to go on about it but being older I realise watching the wildlife is more rewarding than shooting it. Not the heart for it, there by grace of god go I sought of thing, reap as you sow Say's I, give mercy to receive it. At the mo I've only seen four squirrel and my forresty bit can stand it. Like Rabbits don't actually have many, like to see them hopping about eating the grass. I have foxes for that nature takes care of it's own. Bloke said to me "I see you have Rabbits can I shoot them, they're a nuisance" NO. Not long after the same bloke asked can I shoot your foxes I see you have youngans running about, NO they eat the Rabbit's.Had a pet Turkey once running around with the geese getting fat for Christmas. When the day came getting ready to do the foul deed I heard heavenly singing!! Mad not quite, Carroll singers with the Vicar called, I was axe in hand.
Could not kill Fred after that. Had a Kong and happy life, till the damned foxes got him.
We think along the same lines mate

Not many people stop to actually look a tree up and down in detail.
Personally I like to look for the "Tree Spirits".......yes....they do exist naturally aswell as carved:D
I had some amazing pictures of faces and animals before my blasted computer hard drive fried....lost them all:(

This type of thing....( Google photo not mine:thumbsup:)

Here is a good oppurtunity to add a Tree Spirit photo to the forum photo competition.

Get your cameras out lads and see how many you can find :thumbsup:
I'm definitely up for that Bill

Strewth, I better slow down before I get on folks nerve's, like a rash everywhere. Willey Infestations of the worst kind.
The tree spirit observation is very profoundly true. That's the feeling, the sentiment I was struggling to express. I'll pop off in a mo and have a look.

If you friends are ever near King's Lynn and fancy a hug, do pop lol.

Bring your air gun though, I love pinking. Only if the wifething, is not here though.

Five mins to amend errors is not enough!

I need hugging!!

A dear friend of mine also gave up his guns and shooting a few years back now.
Like you....he just had enough of it.
You only have 4 Squirrels at the moment John :rofl: they breed twice a year and have on average 2 to 4 kits.
Come the end of July and September you may have a few juviniles hopping around:D

Strewth, I better slow down before I get on folks nerve's, like a rash everywhere. Willey Infestations of the worst kind.
The tree spirit observation is very profoundly true. That's the feeling, the sentiment I was struggling to express. I'll pop off in a mo and have a look.

Bring your air gun though, I love pinking. Only if the wifething, is not here though.

I need hugging!!

Just for you John ;):D...........:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I need hugging!!

Nice invitation John.......you never know mate;)

Back