• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

I'm going for a shotgun certificate

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I've been messing about with air rifles for some time, buying them and playing with them for a while and making a loss when I sell them...enough is enough!
Having watched a nice 12g BSA side by side chambered for 3" go through auction and sell for £20 before immediately being listed on UKGUNROOM for £595 I've decided to stop messing about. If quality guns can be bought for so little why am I messing about with SMK and Crosman.
Even the shotgun shells aren't that pricey with game shells coming in at under £6 per box of 25 and the coterminous licence is only an extra £30 on top of my renewal. Application is already sent...watch this space.

Last edited:
What cartridges are you buying at that price?????????

Whichever, please use fibre and not plastic wad?

Hull cartridge Co.
Fibre tends to be under 28 gram which isn't usually used for anything other than clay but I'll do my best.

Miss having my cert. Used to have some lovely guns and you're right, shotguns are so much cheaper secondhand compared to air rifles. I was given a nice little 3 shot .410 with underlever chambering mechanism (think Winchester rifle) It was a cracking vermin gun.
Hope you get it.😀

Miss having my cert. Used to have some lovely guns and you're right, shotguns are so much cheaper secondhand compared to air rifles. I was given a nice little 3 shot .410 with underlever chambering mechanism (think Winchester rifle) It was a cracking vermin gun.
Hope you get it.😀
I had a lovely Webley and Scott bolt action .410.........beautiful....long story:mad:

i use 28 gram cartridges in my side by side as it's quite light and i found 32 grams recoiled to much. i have found the 28 gram cartridges fine for pheasant,rabbit and pigeon. I think you just have to understand the effective range of what you are using .

must be in the Air :) .... i just recently gave up my section 1 fire arms cert (was going to get shot gun on fire arms ticket (5) shot pump :rofl:)

but decided to go down the SGC route in the new year :thumbsup:

Get yourself a benelli M4; you know it makes sense...

Can't use it for wildfowling though no matter how impressive it is. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the super 90 hold the record for breaking the most clays in the air at one time? I seem to remember it from when I was at the CLA game fair some years back.

Omg I hope that's a typo 38th..
(Wasn't me!) 🐒💩
I think you're restricted to using a shotgun with a fixed magazine that has a maximum capacity of Two rounds plus one chambered.... I'll have to dig out the exact wording and what legislation it's from though.
I'm pretty sure FAC shotguns are restricted to use on vermin.

Clearly been seen off by my smart arse auto type iphone. Grrrrr

The M4 is an amazing piece of kit; you could promos to only load two in the mag....

Clearly been seen off by my smart arse auto type iphone. Grrrrr

The M4 is an amazing piece of kit; you could promos to only load two in the mag....

I'm sure a gunsmith could reduce the capacity but you may have to get it re proofed, I can't see the point.

Firearm liaison officer seemed like a decent bloke but he was definitely struggling with inputting data on a PDA...not comfortable with technology at all.

Back