• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

I'm going for a shotgun certificate

Firearm liaison officer seemed like a decent bloke but he was definitely struggling with inputting data on a PDA...not comfortable with technology at all.

or the technology he had not being appropriate for the task???? Happens soooooooo often :mad: (rant over. For now...….) :D

Possible better option for shells, a 250 box of 12g 65mm Eley classic game with paper shell, fibre wadding and a 30 gram antimony free copper coated load...£112.
Much more expensive but it won't weigh on my conscience as much.

Last edited:
Ninety pounds for a Doctors note?:eek:.....£90!....are they mad?....I've followed BASC's advice and said no...that was bloody extortion. The average cost of the Doctors note across Powys is £40 which I would have accepted...If I don't get my licence renewed because of them I will teach them the meaning of the word "workload." I'll be down there with every cough, cold, splinter and cut finger....
The Police firearms liaison office and Doctors have been informed that there is no way I'm paying that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bam
Get yourself an AA12, then see if the doctor will give you the note for free 😂😂😂😂
I am kidding by the way, its a stupid pointless gun

Ninety pounds for a Doctors note?:eek:.....£90!....are they mad?....I've followed BASC's advice and said no...that was bloody extortion. The average cost of the Doctors note across Powys is £40 with I would have accepted...If I don't get my licence renewed because of them I will teach them the meaning of the word "workload." I'll be down there with every cough, cold, splinter and cut finger....
The Police firearms liaison office and Doctors have been informed that there is no way I'm paying that.

They'll rue the day they crossed you mate.... 🤣

Its up to you but I'm sure they don't care either way.

Am sure you have the choice to get an independent quote mike. Don’t hold me to that lol. Worth asking. £90 is scandalous.

It's not the Police that have done this, it's the bloody office manager at my Doctors practice... It seems there is another way through this though because it isn't necessarily the end for my renewal and application for the coterminous shotgun certificate but I'm stuck in the middle of a pissing contest between the Police and the BMA and it's my shoes that are getting wet.
The problem is caused by the fact that the BMA and home office have failed to define what a reasonable fixed charge is. Some Doctors charge as little as £20 while some even sort it out for free...it's just my doctor taking the Micky charging more than twice the county's average. The Police can either sort it out or give my my cheque back for the application and I'll sell the .22lr.
I will be changing my Doctor though.

Last edited:
Hi Mike.

Could be that your Dr is a pigeon fancier? :rolleyes: :D

Might be worth writing him/her a letter explaining and pointing out the average cost for a letter from other Drs practices in the area.
Point out that you fully expect to pay for the privilege but feel that the £90 fee is unreasonable and ask him/her to reconsider the fee?

I would get his windows repaired before you send the letter though :whistle::rofl:

Having re read the home office guidelines for firearms applications I don't believe I should be charged for this at all because I have not got anything that needs to be declared under sec. 10 of the home office guide.

Having re read the home office guidelines for firearms applications I don't believe I should be charged for this at all because I have not got anything that needs to be declared under sec. 10 of the home office guide.

I can understand you being pizzed of with the costs Mike.....that £90.00 is extortionate.

You personally may not have anything to declare or any issues for others to have concerns with.......so.....even though a pain.... I can see the need for the Police to have conformation in writing from a Dr.....to cover their arse and to be sure the person applying is suitable to grant the certificate to.
Otherwise they would be swamped by less responsible and sane people applying with no fear of being scrutinised......and continue wandering around licking windows.

I hope you manage to find a more reasonable charge for the letter.

I get that you're not happy Ystranc but to put it in context, how much will you be spending on gun(s), lockers, cartridges etc etc over say the next 5 years. Then factor in either 40 or 90 quid on top and its not going to make much difference I'd have thought.

It's more about the principal of not being bent over a barrel by them as part of a dispute between the home office and doctors.
Bam, I don't spend much on shooting, I certainly don't want to spend more than I need to.

I can understand you being pizzed of with the costs Mike.....that £90.00 is extortionate.

You personally may not have anything to declare or any issues for others to have concerns with.......so.....even though a pain.... I can see the need for the Police to have conformation in writing from a Dr.....to cover their arse and to be sure the person applying is suitable to grant the certificate to.
Otherwise they would be swamped by less responsible and sane people applying with no fear of being scrutinised......and continue wandering around licking windows.

I hope you manage to find a more reasonable charge for the letter.
I've done a fair bit of research in the last 24 hours and the practice charge of £90 is disproportionate and it is not being applied in the correct circumstances. I have no problem with the police having access to my medical history...my problem is with my doctor's attitude to fac...
Not every shooter is born with a silver spoon in his mouth but if you read the BMA forum on the matter you come to the conclusion that the charges are some sort of wealth tax punishment for being rich.
One doctor mentioned that he could see the matter from both sides as he has a 22lr and he immediately became the target of a verbal attack. You can read it for yourself, it's an open forum.

Make an appointment with your GP and ask him outright why he/she is charging such an extortionate amount. Then try to negotiate a smaller charge, failing that ask for a copy of the surgery complaints procedure and see if you can reduce the cost that way. If all else fails, complain to NHS Wales.
N.B Got all this info from Which?

Oh and if the surgery has a Faceplant page, or a website there would be a good place to put the charge for all to see!

principles are a hard thing to drop. And I respect that. Hopefully you can find a way round it :thumbsup:

Both the FAC licence and shotgun certificate came through today (with two months to spare) Next thing is to go and sneeze all over the reception staff at the Doctors practice.

Doctors, greedy admin staff and snotty receptionists (or dragons guarding the gates as I like to think of them) have been well and truly owned on this occasion... It seems that refusal to pay unreasonable fees doesn't effect an application for a renewal too much at all.

Back