• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

International Bivvy Bag Day - 25th February 2023

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Saturday is both my Birthday and International Bivvy Bag Day ...... Anyone taking part ?

@Bopdude and Myself will be on top of a hill somewhere and it will hopefully not be too windy .

Rules are a little more relaxed this year :

Rules - how International Bivvybag Day works

Find and plan your own bivvy camp for Saturday 25th February 2023
At 12 noon on that day a code word will be issued on this group.
Take a photo of you and your bivvy displaying the code word written on a piece of paper and post it to this group / event. This is to prove the bivvy took place that night and is not an old photo.
In the notes section of the post write the names of those you are bivvying with.
You have 24 hours till noon Sunday to upload the photo. The total number of people taking part will then be counted.
Bivvybags, hooped Bivvies, tarp and sleeping bag set ups and hammocks are all allowed but no tents.

Here is the link to the Facebook page :

Got my pitch sorted in the woods by the river Dart for Saturday. Then sleeping out again for the Tommy sleepout in March. Trying to raise £150 for the RBLI. I have set up a just giving page for anybody who wants to donate

Warsett Hill.jpg

This will be our spot ..........

Ready for off ….. weather forecast is a bit of a challenge on the North East Coast but no point having all the gear if you don’t get out and use it . Meeting @Bopdude later for a pre camp pint and then we are all in …

9CF48DBB-91C5-4622-AEA1-436758FB0136.jpeg
4CB74861-8502-4614-89CA-33E061246A50.jpeg

Way to go guys.......pictures are good.....thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Was everything all good......would you change or add to the kit you used for the event.... if there is a next time?

Way to go guys.......pictures are good.....thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Was everything all good......would you change or add to the kit you used for the event.... if there is a next time?

Oh there will be a next time ......

My Bivvy set up worked well , its quite well tested and once I'd found a bit of shelter its low profile was spot on , didn't need to put a tarp up and had a comfortable night .

Polycyro ground sheet ( 30g)
Gram Counter Gear Featherweight Evazote Foam Mat ( 75g , 0.5 R rating)
Sierra Designs Back Country Bivvy 3000 (394g)
Forclaz MT500 inflatable mat ( 500g , 1.5 R rating)
Alpkit Skyhigh 500 sleeping bag ( -3 rated 900g )

The PolyCyro groundsheet weighs nothing and provides an excellent barrier from the wet ground , folded in half it fits neatly under the bivvy but can be opened up to provide some emergency top cover if no using a tarp. The gram counter mat sits on top of this and also weighs next to nothing and is really non slip , it provides an extra insulating layer and helps keep everything in place.

The Back Country Bivvy is light and roomy , has an innovative zip which allows easy access and good ventilation with plenty of room to move inside ( highly recommended ) and inside this my mat and sleeping bag.

Could reduce weight with use of a different mat and sleeping bag but I knew it was going to be cold so went for comfort .

I am actually on the hunt for a light 3 season down bag at a reasonable cost ..... no easy task ..

Back