• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Is it a Stroke

jaffcat

Slightly Addicted
Is it a “Stroke”

Q: What is a “Stroke”
A: A “Stroke” is caused by a disruption in the blood flow to an area of the brain. This can be because of a bleed in the brain or due to a blockage in the blood vessels that supply the brain. Sometimes this disruption is permanent and sometimes the symptoms will resolve within a few hours or days. These short lived Strokes are often called “mini-Strokes” or “TIA’s”

Q: Is a Stroke serious
A: Whilst not all strokes are permanent, you should always call 999 as soon as you think somebody might be having a stroke. The sooner the patient gets treatment in hospital the more likely they are of having a better outcome.

Q: How do I know if it’s a Stroke
A: People having a stroke may have one or more of the following symptoms, loss of speech, confusion with words or understanding, weakness/numbness or paralysis to one side. Some people have vision loss or sudden blurring. The symptoms will change from each person depending on what part of the brain is affected.

Q: Whats the FAST test that I have seen on TV
A: The FAST test is designed to help people recognise when somebody might be having a Stroke.
F = Facial weakness, can they smile normally, does one side of the mouth or eye droop
A = Arm weakness, can they raise both arms and hold them out together for a few seconds
S = Speech, can they speak normally and understand simple spoken commands
T = Time, to call 999

Q: Should I take anything to help
A: No, do not take any medication at this time. Until you have been seen in hospital it will be unclear if the stroke is caused by a bleed or clot. If you take any medication (Aspirin etc) it may make any bleeding worse and cause more problems. Call 999 and follow the advice given by the operator until the Ambulance arrives

Q: What else can I do
A: Keep the patient calm, give lots of reassurance and try not to ask questions that the patient is unable to answer. People having stokes often get frustrated with themselves when they can’t speak or say the wrong words

Q: What happens next
A: When the Ambulance arrives they will treat the condition as best they can. Rapid transport to the nearest hospital is needed to allow for scans and treatment. Most of the time this will be to special “Stroke Unit”. They will then treat you depending on what type of stroke you are having (Bleed/Clot)

Home | The Stroke Association

Re: Is it a “Stroke”

Excellent info and post mate.........thanks for sharing.

Back