• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Is it a tent? Is it a plane? Is it a speeding bullet?

lol

Extremely Addicted
The Snugpak Ionosphere...unboxing.
Is the Ionoshere a 1 man tent...or a bivvi?
I think of it as a glorified bivvi...................

Love the Stratosphere, but can't get on with the condensation......so in a similar vein and at a remarkable price from Outdoors GB (£117), I ordered one (the Ionosphere) and have just unboxed it and had an initial set up; which is always more of a faff than subsequent pitching? The Jack Wolfskin Gossamer was another consideration?

So , firstly, there's 16....yes 16 pegs, including what Snugpak refer to as 2 spares. Why? Some manufacturers have the gall not to supply even the basic need for their tents! Are they crap? Seem good standard S/pak cross shaped pegs, and yet....if you use ALL the peg out points......you need two more!! Obviously some points are designed to double up on the pegs, yet the tent/bivvi, didn't seem to set so well doing that, and I do like shelters pegged out taught and flat/smooth? But it CAN be set well.

I don't as a rule like inner set first shelters and this is the case here. Whilst it is nice (bloody excellent!) to be able to use just as a mozzy proof shelter, it can't be beyond the wit of man to design it so you have the option on set up?

Much has been said in videos about the floor space inside: I am 6'4" and 105 kgs, and it suits me fine, the inner mesh is way off my face......but whether my pack could (comfortably) come in above or below me, I very much doubt. I'll find out soon, lol!! You will need to be under 6' for that I feel. There is loads of room for the smaller paraphanalia though?

Entrance and exit is a doddle, I can even turn around inside...just....and I'm an old git!

I think this is getting closer to stealth/lightweight camping Nirvana for me....... but maybe not QUITE there yet?

We'll know better when used............................................

Tried out in a thunderstorm...utterly dry, and no condensation that I was aware of in the morning? Dead esy to close the fly in anticipation of rain from your bag.....but getting into a liner and bag in the first place may take some practice!! :eek: .

...Oh you mean the sleeping bag?:rofl::rofl:;)

Exactly that mate. :thumbsup: ....one less thing to wrestle with in quite a confined space:)

Reactions: lol
The Snugpak Ionosphere...unboxing.
Is the Ionoshere a 1 man tent...or a bivvi?
I think of it as a glorified bivvi...................

Love the Stratosphere, but can't get on with the condensation......so in a similar vein and at a remarkable price from Outdoors GB (£117), I ordered one (the Ionosphere) and have just unboxed it and had an initial set up; which is always more of a faff than subsequent pitching? The Jack Wolfskin Gossamer was another consideration?

So , firstly, there's 16....yes 16 pegs, including what Snugpak refer to as 2 spares. Why? Some manufacturers have the gall not to supply even the basic need for their tents! Are they crap? Seem good standard S/pak cross shaped pegs, and yet....if you use ALL the peg out points......you need two more!! Obviously some points are designed to double up on the pegs, yet the tent/bivvi, didn't seem to set so well doing that, and I do like shelters pegged out taught and flat/smooth? But it CAN be set well.

I don't as a rule like inner set first shelters and this is the case here. Whilst it is nice (bloody excellent!) to be able to use just as a mozzy proof shelter, it can't be beyond the wit of man to design it so you have the option on set up?

Much has been said in videos about the floor space inside: I am 6'4" and 105 kgs, and it suits me fine, the inner mesh is way off my face......but whether my pack could (comfortably) come in above or below me, I very much doubt. I'll find out soon, lol!! You will need to be under 6' for that I feel. There is loads of room for the smaller paraphanalia though?

Entrance and exit is a doddle, I can even turn around inside...just....and I'm an old git!

I think this is getting closer to stealth/lightweight camping Nirvana for me....... but maybe not QUITE there yet?

We'll know better when used............................................

RE all those pegs.......... :mad: ..........and pegging out points: I've been racking my diminished brain to simplify all this and still get the tent to set nicely and be secure. By re arranging the guyline at the head end, and judicious use of elastic cord, I have saved 4 pegs (modified 8 peg out points).
Further saving could be made by a redesign of the cowl over the vent at the foot end, but that is beyond my non existant pay grade ;)

I have done a sleep out in a decent thunderstorm, and it was great!! Bone dry and no condensation, either :thumbsup:

By adding some bungy loops to the pegging out points of the inner mesh tent, they can be lined up with the fly, perfectly, and then you can save about 6 pegs, by doubling up. I also modded the head end guy line as above to save another peg, but not the foot end cowl....
I really like this thing; if you want to go light and small, but bivvies are not for you, have a look at the Ionosphere; can be bought for a little over half Snugpaks RRP if you search around............................

Back