• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Is It Safe?!

Keith

Very Addicted
I was just wondering, I am not really interested in getting any communication equipment myself, I don't really see the need. But say you are sending out these calls/messages to communicate, how do you know that the people on the other end are good guys or bad guys? Or is this communication equipment just for communicating with particular people? Is this equipment for carrying when bugging out, or is it just for a permanent residence?
Keith.

the Nazis in WW2 could always triangulate a radio operators location, and its been 70 years since then, i'm sure huge advances have been made in this location finding in that time.
will I be doing it? no, I could never figure out who I was supposed to be communicating with post SHTF, especially after a pandemic or other event where the survival rate would be so low.

It depends on range, your antenna and what band you're using. Antennae can be set up to transmit directionally or to bounce a signal off the ionosphere which can make them harder to trace. If you don't want to be traced you could always transmit from a mobile station.

like Keith I don't really see the need, maybe much much later when the dust has settled.

that's a different kettle of fish, I've got a couple of radios for monitoring.

The ability to triangulate and locate requires a minimum period of time to achieve, the longer you transmit/speak the better the triangulation accuracy.

Modern equipment is a lot quicker but it is technologically advanced so any seeker may be back to using 1950s tech as we all know ALL the computers will stop working!!!

With analogue equipment you'd be impossible to find just by listening.

Short sentences, move locations, mask your antennae and use the minimum antenna length and minimum power and you MAY be ok.

If we’re talking now then I don’t see any harm in having one for communications. If it’s for post shtf it would be very valuable to a group still it would have its risks.

I have a CB, mostly to listen, and keep an ear out for problems, also a matched pair of walkie-talkies, just in case for the pair of us. I think the decision is: Are we looking at a war situation, post-SHTF, or survival? I think more Survival..and info helps.

Aye! but the first week or so will be important.. never mind anyone being organised to triangulate on your signal, more 'where are the traffic jams, problem areas, support and relief?' You don't HAVE to transmit, but listening may help.. I'm hedging my bets.

yes, but it might take people a while to realise there IS a problem especially if it starts on a low key, I've always thought it would be a domino or cascade effect, one thing affecting another which in turn affects a third, that sort of thing.
I think a short wave radio is what is needed for monitoring any broadcasts, I've got a big electric one and a battery wind up one for back up for when the power goes off.

Also got those for listening...

For power I've just build a PSU battery backed, for 12V and USB supplies, chargeable by mains or solar. I have a suitcase mains generator, so fuel would be the only problem. (did I mention I'm an Electronics (Comms) engineer by training in RAF and industry?)

I'm considering an HF receiver/transceiver.. don't forget all the radio Hams out there worldwide!

LW, after half an hours reading and a look at a couple of practice test papers a child of 10 or 12 could easily pass the foundation test

I really think if anyone is put off by getting a radio because of some theory someone out there is going to RF them you need to take a reality check.

LW, a cheap SW radio or hand cranked radio won't cut it unless you just want to listen to mainstream broadcasters, your kit won't let you listen to hams and these are the folk 'on the ground'

LW, after half an hours reading and a look at a couple of practice test papers a child of 10 or 12 could easily pass the foundation test

ystranc your right, children under 10 have taken the test...but it gets you on the air.

LW, a cheap SW radio or hand cranked radio won't cut it unless you just want to listen to mainstream broadcasters, your kit won't let you listen to hams and these are the folk 'on the ground'
in the type of emergency I envisage survival rates will be quite low, i'm not really expecting to hear anything although my main radio is quite powerful, unlike most I expect to be on my own and surviving by my own wits.

Back