• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Is this new?

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Late today I drove back from a brief visit to Town and noticed that a Garage that was under modernisation is now open for business. It's an Asda, about 500 yards from the Asda Supermarket which is on the opposite side of a busy main road. A new experience for me, I drove up to a pump and realised there are no humans on site, none at all. No pay kiosk, no shop, just fuel pumps and electric car charging points.
I've obviously seen "Pay at the pump" type set ups, but there's usually a shop/kiosk with the option to pay cash even. Not here, it's like a strange NASA launch area, all shiney pumps, bright digital lights on the pumps and arc lamps lighting the area. CCTV cameras everywhere. There are buttons to press and speakers at each pump to I imagine summon help...

The pump shouted at me in a robotic voice when I lifted the fuel hose off the pump..."Replace nozzle...insert card" ..The machine reads the card, deducts £1...You then fill up and it deducts the total. No sign of life...Is this the future...Humans not required...?

Late today I drove back from a brief visit to Town and noticed that a Garage that was under modernisation is now open for business. It's an Asda, about 500 yards from the Asda Supermarket which is on the opposite side of a busy main road. A new experience for me, I drove up to a pump and realised there are no humans on site, none at all. No pay kiosk, no shop, just fuel pumps and electric car charging points.
I've obviously seen "Pay at the pump" type set ups, but there's usually a shop/kiosk with the option to pay cash even. Not here, it's like a strange NASA launch area, all shiney pumps, bright digital lights on the pumps and arc lamps lighting the area. CCTV cameras everywhere. There are buttons to press and speakers at each pump to I imagine summon help...

The pump shouted at me in a robotic voice when I lifted the fuel hose off the pump..."Replace nozzle...insert card" ..The machine reads the card, deducts £1...You then fill up and it deducts the total. No sign of life...Is this the future...Humans not required...?
[/QU

Saxonaxe

That’s new to me. Never seen a 100% automated servo before.

But it clearly works because it’s how we get AVGAS at smaller airfields. Drives me nuts because you have to pre-pay by price rather than by quantity so you need to calculate that first.

Alan

We have one, also an Asda....... it deducts £1 as you say but it takes about 3 to 4 days to take the final price from the bank 🤷🏼‍♂️, I suppose at this time and what’s going on in the world it’s probably a better way of doing it....

This has changed, some of these pumps now deduct £100 from your account before dispensing fuel and then refund any that you have not spent, sometimes taking a couple of days to refund and pushing people into unexpected debt.

There doing that here at the Asda already, the pump takes £99 out your account….

Complete automation which makes staff redundant and once the government's digital currency comes into effect you'll only be able to full up with your allocated allowance.

There doing that here at the Asda already, the pump takes £99 out your account….
Just put £50 in at our local asda and £1 has shown as deducted from my account.
I think it's more to do with the card transaction company being arsey.
I don't understand why if you've put the pin in it can't take the exact amount.

There has been an ASDA station like this at Ventura park in Tamworth for quite some years now. Hopefully better than it was now as there were a number of card cloning scams . It affected a number of people including my wife and her sister. Personally I tend to steer away from these and don't use the pay at the pump or for that matter self service tills at the supermarket. If nothing else it gives someone a job . Raises the question that if the owners have no staff bill at these automatic stations why isn't the petrol cheaper?

There has been an ASDA station like this at Ventura park in Tamworth for quite some years now. Hopefully better than it was now as there were a number of card cloning scams . It affected a number of people including my wife and her sister. Personally I tend to steer away from these and don't use the pay at the pump or for that matter self service tills at the supermarket. If nothing else it gives someone a job . Raises the question that if the owners have no staff bill at these automatic stations why isn't the petrol cheaper?
I prefer dealing with real humans when the option presents itself. I’m already a bit isolated, I might only talk to Louise and the lady at the post office face to face in an entire week. (Probably should get out more 🧐)

Likewise, I never use the self checkout or 'smart shop' and use cash whenever possible. They're just ways of reducing staff costs and building data on shopping habits. Phone GPS is off too unless I need it. We are being tracked and our data gathered.
Am I suspicious or just realistic? :whistle::rofl:

Likewise, I never use the self checkout or 'smart shop' and use cash whenever possible. They're just ways of reducing staff costs and building data on shopping habits. Phone GPS is off too unless I need it. We are being tracked and our data gathered.
Am I suspicious or just realistic? :whistle::rofl:

Realistic mate 😂

Back