• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Is 'Trussism' really delivering?

So lads, the latest news i heard is that Mr Rishi is closing in on the leadership of the Tories.
I scratched my head and thought....I've heard that name before.

Isn't he the bloke who was in the news because his wife doesn't pay UK tax? Apparently they are extremely wealthy ( good for them!), and most of their business assets are registered in her name.

She also holds a non UK passport and is theoretically domicile overseas. So doesn't pay full tax. So these people only pay tax in his Parliamentary salary and any additional UK incomes they hold only. All business incomes registered to overseas companies.

I'm sorry folks but I call bullshit on this one. I have lived and worked in separate countries to.my wife and for tax purposes your business affairs and your spouse are the same. Unless the tax system in UK is very different from Australia...

Even if what Mr Rishi is doing is technically legal do you really want somebody avoiding paying tax as your PM? What example does it set for the millions of struggling Britons paying their taxes through challenging economic times? Is this really the best the Tory party can do?

Aren't there any decent 'normal' people in your Conservatives?

Alan

The uk tax system is very complicated. Overly complicated.
As I understand it most of their money is made in India and they pay tax as required in both countries. The real question is should she qualify for non dom status.
I'm sure she pays as little tax as is legally required, like most of us.
Don't blame the company/individual for working the system, blame the system for being that complicated that it can be worked by a good accountant.
There are plenty of other people that get their hands burnt playing the system, not just tory mp's. But yes, all our current cohort of mp's can do better, they are at the apex of the public servants hill and should remember that.

There are some who lean towards the idea that Sunak lost out previously because of racism in the party , better to put a dim white bird in charge rather than a clever asian guy sort of thing. There may be something in this but I tend to think another factor could be his loyalty to this country. There are others who feel that if things were to go tits up he'd have no problems with leaving the country to pursue his business elsewhere in India and the US.

I stand corrected. I only get this stuff from the aussie news.

But even if things are as you describe Mantling, would you want a PM with significant business interest in another country? Is there a potential conflict of interest?

Alan

The Tory party membership tend to be elderly and a bit right wing, electing an Asian lad who is far richer than them may have been a step too far for some but at least he has some experience with finance and the treasury. Liz Truss was a mistake on the part of the membership. It seems to be mainly the membership that want Boris back, probably dementia makes them forget that it was parliament that got rid of Boris. Why they’re blaming Rishi Sunak for Boris’s fall from grace is a mystery to me. I thought Boris managed to screw up his career on his own with his habitual lies.

I stand corrected. I only get this stuff from the aussie news.

But even if things are as you describe Mantling, would you want a PM with significant business interest in another country? Is there a potential conflict of interest?

Alan
All outside business interests of all MP's should be lodged with the Standards and Ethics Committee so public and parliamentary oversight can be carried out.

From Wikipedia ( an therefore of dubious validity!)

'In November 2020, Sunak was reported by The Guardian to have not declared a significant amount of his wife and family's financial interests on the register of ministers' interests, including a combined £1.7 billion shareholding in the Indian company Infosys.[104] Sunak is required under the ministerial code to declare interests that are "relevant" to his responsibilities and "which might be thought to give rise to a conflict" with his public duties'.

One has to wonder with that much wealth where his interests really lie. I assume his UK government job pays puny income in comparison with his business interests.

Alan

🤔

Back