• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

It pays to look up...

With the added benefits that Councils are now cutting Lyme back to prevent being sued, all the internet self appointed experts then say its “PC gone mad” (which it patently isn’t) but would moan if a 100kg branch dropped on their heads or car.

Probably one of the most nail biting camping nights I've ever spent was a night in November a few years ago. Camped in the Wood in Sussex. I had moved my tent site to slightly higher ground to avoid the cold air that tends to settle in the lower area where I camp in warmer weather. The forecast was for high winds and rain, naturally I did the usual check for hanging dead wood, and set up camp.
In the early hours I awoke to what sounded like an express train coming through the Wood,. Howling wind and driving rain and within about half an hour the most terrible crashing sounds. I'm sure the ground shook and the noise seemed so close, I did a quick check look out through the tent door but saw only driving rain in the torch beam. Noises continued through the night and the next morning I went for a wander with the camera.

There is a stand of very old Beech Trees at the top of the wood, knowing their reputation for dropping boughs I had camped well clear, but the Storm had ripped through them and left a trail of damage.

DSCF4645 - Copy (2).JPG
DSCF4637 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Some of the big limbs already infected with rot or just age/weight had simply dropped off.
DSCF4639 - Copy - Copy.JPG

This one shook the ground, although I must have been over a hundred metres clear, it sounded as if it was falling on the tent. Shallow rain soaked soil and high winds take their toll on the old Beeches.

As a youngster I used to get quite upset to see it, the Beech, Queen of the Woods, it seemed such a shame, but I learned they take 300 years to mature, so they live for 300 years plus and take another 300 years to decay on the Forest floor and feed many creatures and insects while doing so.

DSCF4644 - Copy - Copy.JPG

A night to remember.. 😄

Last edited:
Not camping so much but whilst in on exercise in Otterburn I found myself on the forward edge of a plantation where due to the wind the ground was rippling where the trees were moving their roots. Just after we collapsed our observation post to withdraw a 60 foot Scots pine tree fell onto the exact spot we’d been positioned in about ten minutes earlier!

Back