• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Itchy jumpers and base layers?

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Thinking back on a few posts where members were talking about Wool base layers and jumpers.
How they found them to be itchy on the skin making them uncomfortable and irritating to wear.
I have a Norwegian jumper like that......very warm....but the fibres can poke through and annoy.

So I am going to try this little tip I stumbled across.......nothing to loose and everything to gain :thumbsup:

Some people just react badly but it also really depends on the blend of wool.
I've only ever had one wool shirt that itched, it was horrible but in spite of that I'm a huge fan of wool as opposed to man made fibres.

The blend of wool was mentioned in one of the articles I read Mike.:thumbsup:
I remember shaving my KF wool shirts years ago.....as a lot of the guys did.....good shirts but they did itch.
Wish I knew about this little tip back then :D:rolleyes:

Am very interested in these tips :thumbsup: I don’t wear wool for this reason... but I get on fine with Marino wool (spell check lol). I will be trying this:D

I know this is an older post, but I'm new to the group and just came across it. Did anyone try the method listed in the original post? Does it work?

My understanding is that itchiness of wool generally comes from the lanolin content and the microscopic scales on the fibers. Merino wool is much finer than normal wool (20 microns or under in diameter) and washing removes most of the lanolin which can cause allergic reactions. If merino still feels itchy, it could be worth trying other types, such as alpaca wool. Baby and royal alpaca are similarly fine to merino, but additionally there is minimal lanolin content and the scales on the fibers are are much smaller and protrude less. All this means that alpaca wool tends to feel much softer against the skin and is non-itchy for most people.

Hi Pinkhippy.

Yes I tried this tip.....apart from putting the Jumper in the freezer.....did not do that.
Even without the freezer part......it did improve the feel of the jumper.........still the odd fibre poking through.....but a marked improvement on what it was.

I find a lot of itching is caused by my own body hair when wearing snug fitting base layers........strange but true.......especially after a couple of days wear.
Not necessarily due to the material....but rather the hair being flattened again the skin.....causing the itch.

@pinkhippy

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the "Welcomes" section.....tell us a little about yourself and your camping preferences......experience.

I know this is an older post, but I'm new to the group and just came across it. Did anyone try the method listed in the original post? Does it work?

My understanding is that itchiness of wool generally comes from the lanolin content and the microscopic scales on the fibers. Merino wool is much finer than normal wool (20 microns or under in diameter) and washing removes most of the lanolin which can cause allergic reactions. If merino still feels itchy, it could be worth trying other types, such as alpaca wool. Baby and royal alpaca are similarly fine to merino, but additionally there is minimal lanolin content and the scales on the fibers are are much smaller and protrude less. All this means that alpaca wool tends to feel much softer against the skin and is non-itchy for most people.
A good first post mate

Hi Pinkhippy.

Yes I tried this tip.....apart from putting the Jumper in the freezer.....did not do that.
Even without the freezer part......it did improve the feel of the jumper.........still the odd fibre poking through.....but a marked improvement on what it was.

I find a lot of itching is caused by my own body hair when wearing snug fitting base layers........strange but true.......especially after a couple of days wear.
Not necessarily due to the material....but rather the hair being flattened again the skin.....causing the itch.

@pinkhippy

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the "Welcomes" section.....tell us a little about yourself and your camping preferences......experience.

oh that's interesting! Did the improvement last or do you think you'd have to do that process periodically. I guess it makes sense about body hair, but then I'd guess that tight synthetics would cause a similar problem?

Reactions: Bam
I have a feeling that I may regret this post, Pink Hippy....You will understand why when you get to know some of the oiks on this forum. :lol:

I've still got some Brynje base layer clothing that I was issued with a long time ago. ( and I captured a few 'spare' sets) It's wool mesh, not prickly at all and very effective. Washes easily and wears really well. I only use it on the very coldest days or as night sleeping gear when camped out in cold weather.

Dare I post a photo? Mmmm? Ah! I don't care anyway.............:rofl:.....:rofl:

Wool-Mesh-Base-Layers.jpg

Attachments

• Wool-Mesh-Base-Layers.jpg
    Wool-Mesh-Base-Layers.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 20
oh that's interesting! Did the improvement last or do you think you'd have to do that process periodically. I guess it makes sense about body hair, but then I'd guess that tight synthetics would cause a similar problem?

To be totally honest Hippy.....I have not worn the Jumper since that first time after the treatment.
Having said that.....it kind of makes sense to repeat the treatment now and then.

I now use a really cheap fleece in favour of the Jumper during the colder weather.......and for what it cost me £12.00........it out performs the wool Jumper.....much prefer it.
As far as base layers go.....I use both Marino and synthetic types.......as I mentioned above......its the body hair that causes the most problems.....for me anyway.

I could always buy a waxing kit I suppose.......... :eek: 🤭:D

Last edited:
There’s a bit of a return to wool from some of the kit manufacturers, particularly the smaller niche suppliers who sell on quality and innovation rather than name brands.

Part of the claim is that polyester fleece which was often sold as environmentally friendly (being recycled plastic bottles) may be anything but and is seen as part of the plastic micro-beads problem being that some are released every time it is washed or layers worn beneath it are washed.

Wool is the “new tech” solution in a very old tech way.

Not got one of these but you get the picture (noting they continue to sell fleece but are going for more environmentally friendly ways of producing it)

Back