• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

It’s been a while

Must admit, won't shoot crows. Can't eat them, so I don't shoot them. They also take a lot of leatherjackets out the spud fields. It won't be many years before ploughing is a rarity, then the crows will be stuffed!! lol!
Can eat them tastes like steak

Must admit, won't shoot crows. Can't eat them, so I don't shoot them. They also take a lot of leatherjackets out the spud fields. It won't be many years before ploughing is a rarity, then the crows will be stuffed!! lol!
It’s funny you should say that. Years ago at uni we had a lecturer that swore blind crows looked bad on a field but did more good than bad by picking out leather jackets. At the time I never believed him until I started work full time and found that mostly that was the case. We’ve never had an issue until the last 3-4 years. The north side of the village is smack bang on the evening flight line to the local belt of trees and as soon as the land is worked they see it and it’s black over. Like you said it’s the grubs they’re after but they uproot the recently drilled crop very quickly causing a lot of damage so it has to be stopped and a couple of dead birds laid out upside down works wonders as a deterrent :)

Hi mate, I’ve had her for a wee while but only got out to 300 yds using factory loads but the accuracy is fantastic I’m the weak link in the set up.Got a little bonus from work last year an managed to get hold of a nice SMLE and bayonet,over a hundred years old and still shoots well!
For a long time the SMLE was the preferred sniper rifle for many nations

It’s funny you should say that. Years ago at uni we had a lecturer that swore blind crows looked bad on a field but did more good than bad by picking out leather jackets. At the time I never believed him until I started work full time and found that mostly that was the case. We’ve never had an issue until the last 3-4 years. The north side of the village is smack bang on the evening flight line to the local belt of trees and as soon as the land is worked they see it and it’s black over. Like you said it’s the grubs they’re after but they uproot the recently drilled crop very quickly causing a lot of damage so it has to be stopped and a couple of dead birds laid out upside down works wonders as a deterrent :)
Soon we won't be drilling any more in the traditional /current way, so it won't be the same issue............

Really?? :)

Yup really............we are losing soil quality so fast internationally ( there is some research now that suggests it is not sustainable), and mainly through using cultivation techniques based back to bronze age, plough/harrow/drill to make a seed bed, and crop/manage monoculturally. We will move to (I have been to several prototype research demonstrations) remote multicropping in any field with INDIVIDUAL plant management instead of field or area management, This will remove the need to plough, disc. harrow large areas, or even direct drill one crop over large areas............it also allows micro area soil management needed to do the above. Removing much of the need for traditional seed beds, thereby retaining a better soil structure........... :whistle:
Retaining a better soil structure is also one of the best ways for capturing carbon dioxide................

Back