• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

It's like a broken record...

🤷🏼‍♂️ Next they will license them your way as they do here in Scotland, give it a few years !

not to throw a spanner in the works, but thousands of letters went into local mp’s , msp’s, when we was told about there intention for air rifles licensing, also watched BASC officials arguing there point to deaf ears and non interested fat cats....millions of money and a small percentage of air rifles handed in and out the hands of idiots are better than no money and none handed in. Hard to place an argument in front of that, I tend to agree with the latter tho

Licensing isn't a likely outcome this time around but they do seem to keep chipping away at what is allowed.

Playing Devil's advocate herer; My friend has a cat that was shot in the head with an airgun of some sort. It kept having ear infections and when the vet took an x-ray to find out what was going on lo and behold lodged in her inner ear was a pellet. Poor thing is deaf, has balance problems and a tilted head. So, much as I hate to see further legislation, I think in this instance there should be a simple licencing system to keep them out of the hands of kids. And an education programme and mandatory safety course.
*Puts tin hat on for backlash*

Playing Devil's advocate herer; My friend has a cat that was shot in the head with an airgun of some sort. It kept having ear infections and when the vet took an x-ray to find out what was going on lo and behold lodged in her inner ear was a pellet. Poor thing is deaf, has balance problems and a tilted head. So, much as I hate to see further legislation, I think in this instance there should be a simple licencing system to keep them out of the hands of kids. And an education programme and mandatory safety course.

Absolutely hate this sort of behaviour, poor wee thing. 😡 takes an evil person to do such an act,
It’s unfortunate because of people like this you have that view Annie, and rightly so in my opinion. I’m somewhat of a free spirit person when I comes to fire arms,knifes and such and believe I should be able to (with the right sort of circumstances understanding and discipline ) be free to use air weapons carry a knife or axe and such without scrutiny, as long as I am responsible enough to do so, however I except rules and laws and understand why they are in place... so I agree completely with mandatory safety courses for beginners and teenagers and I definitely respect your views. It’s just unfortunate we need more rules,regulations,laws to stop idiots or at the least try to stop them.

Licensing isn't a likely outcome this time around but they do seem to keep chipping away at what is allowed.

Probably not mike, but when I see articles like these I can’t help thinking it’s on its way to becoming national rather than regional.....

Absolutely hate this sort of behaviour, poor wee thing. 😡 takes an evil person to do such an act,
It’s unfortunate because of people like this you have that view Annie, and rightly so in my opinion. I’m somewhat of a free spirit person when I comes to fire arms,knifes and such and believe I should be able to (with the right sort of circumstances understanding and discipline ) be free to use air weapons carry a knife or axe and such without scrutiny, as long as I am responsible enough to do so, however I except rules and laws and understand why they are in place... so I agree completely with mandatory safety courses for beginners and teenagers and I definitely respect your views. It’s just unfortunate we need more rules,regulations,laws to stop idiots or at the least try to stop them.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but I happen to wholeheartedly agree with your views Mark. But to keep these things out of the hands of the sick barstewards of the world, the rest of us get punished. I wish I had the answers, I really do.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but I happen to wholeheartedly agree with your views Mark. But to keep these things out of the hands of the sick barstewards of the world, the rest of us get punished. I wish I had the answers, I really do.

I wouldn’t call it a contradiction Annie, but a fair understanding of both sides off the coin with a view to a better outcome.

but you are right about the rest of us being punished for the cruel ( I’ll leave the next word blank lol) behaviour, the only option is acceptance of the rule so better to get round it so to live with them ,as most of these rules don’t affect our choices in respect off how we conduct ourselves it shouldn’t really matter that there in place.

I also wish I had the answer, @Joecole would say shot them 😂😂

The problem is, what do you ban next, catapults ? Bad people are going to do bad things. I'm not saying we should just go all 'Wild West', far from it and while I think licensing air guns (that are restricted ft/lb) is pointless I would be happy to see a lot tougher sentences for people who do this kind of thing.

As ever I compare how we deal with weapon crime to how we deal with crime committed in cars, there are massive double standards at play. Run someone over and flee the scene.... no worries, 18 months in the jail and off you pop. If you hold an FAC and are in any kind of bother the police can come and confiscate your guns, either temporarily or permanently. I accept that I'm heading off on a tangent but getting back on track, if you are the kind of person who gets a kick from shooting cats or dogs then prison is the best place for you. Ya know, for all the rehabilitation and stuff.

I like the idea of a safety course which should also include legal responsibilities. I have also had a cat shot by one of the neighbours however these proposals wouldn't have made any difference, neither of my neighbour's were kids. Luckily the cat is still with me 13 years later although he limps. I've spent the last 13 years being such an utter bastard to the neighbours that they have moved out and put the house to let.
The laws protecting wildlife, pets and property already exist as do laws about where a person can carry and fire an air gun...There are already laws on who can buy or sell air guns.. There are even laws that prevent adults from legally owning an airgun (sec21)....it's just that these laws need to be enforced....they are not.
Accidents can happen although when it comes to firearms (any kind of firearms) they're almost always due to negligence or foolishness not a function of age.

I like the idea of a safety course which should also include legal responsibilities. I have also had a cat shot by one of the neighbours however these proposals wouldn't have made any difference, neither of my neighbour's were kids. Luckily the cat is still with me 13 years later although he limps. I've spent the last 13 years being such an utter bastard to the neighbours that they have moved out and put the house to let.
The laws protecting wildlife, pets and property already exist as do laws about where a person can carry and fire an air gun...There are already laws on who can buy or sell air guns.. There are even laws that prevent adults from legally owning an airgun (sec21)....it's just that these laws need to be enforced....they are not.
Accidents can happen although when it comes to firearms (any kind of firearms) they're almost always due to negligence or foolishness not a function of age.
This is the crux of it for me too Mike. Instead of making new laws and legislation, enforce the current ones. THEN if these laws aren't sufficient its time to look at changing laws.

Pass or fail system for gun handling that interjects decision on who will and who won’t at the same time as sitting a course, like a very short apprenticeship , a complete independent enforcement agency that’s soul purpose is firearms, not burdened by day to day duties, understanding off existing gun owners and factor in merit of years using firearms before, obviously there would have to be a time limit as off, gun owners that have held the license for a number of year previous to the start of a new law like this.

harsher laws for misuse of firearms, consisting of longer stints in community services, undertaking of therapy.....keep the jail free, obviously not for murder or alike.

there are probably a lot of holes in what I’ve said there, it’s just off the cuff

Pass or fail system for gun handling that interjects decision on who will and who won’t at the same time as sitting a course, like a very short apprenticeship , a complete independent enforcement agency that’s soul purpose is firearms, not burdened by day to day duties, understanding off existing gun owners and factor in merit of years using firearms before, obviously there would have to be a time limit as off, gun owners that have held the license for a number of year previous to the start of a new law like this.

harsher laws for misuse of firearms, consisting of longer stints in community services, undertaking of therapy.....keep the jail free, obviously not for murder or alike.

there are probably a lot of holes in what I’ve said there, it’s just off the cuff

Off the top of my head Mark, how much will this cost do you think. I only ask because if I wanted to get an air rifle for plinking in my garden for example, to teach my kid how to shoot etc (forgetting the Scottish licence), going on some course is going to set me back a bit. There goes the old 'hand me down' air rifle and the cost of a tin of pellets to give your kids a go at shooting. Horrible b'stards are going to be horrible b'stards, if they want to shoot a cat and they don't have an air rifle then they'll use a catapult or find some other way to be horrible.

Off the top of my head Mark, how much will this cost do you think. I only ask because if I wanted to get an air rifle for plinking in my garden for example, to teach my kid how to shoot etc (forgetting the Scottish licence), going on some course is going to set me back a bit. There goes the old 'hand me down' air rifle and the cost of a tin of pellets to give your kids a go at shooting. Horrible b'stards are going to be horrible b'stards, if they want to shoot a cat and they don't have an air rifle then they'll use a catapult or find some other way to be horrible.

Possibly cost more than it should Andy lol..

There’s a few elements to appease on this subject, the ones who would outright ban, some who want harsher laws, some who want left alone and some sitting on the fence, and the list goes on! And that’s the problem! Can’t keep everyone happy. I’m open to it all and try and understand all views, but that’s just a personal choice as I can’t do naff all about any of it so I just mump my gums until I’m satisfied, and try and make a little sense along the way 😂

as I said in a few post back, I would love to walk free with a rifle of any sort, knife, axe and not be scrutinised for doing so, that’s just not possible, as you said, horrible bstrd’s will always be horrible bstrd’s and because of this we can’t do things like plinking as you will know, am right there with you Andy on that point we should be allowed.

as mike said the laws are there but there not enforced,

Reactions: Bam
This is the synopsis of Air weapon do's and dont's from the government's own website, it's pretty clear.
If a person can keep to those rules then I have no problem with them owning an airgun, even if they're only 14... However if someone is proven to be a danger to the public using an air gun then there should be a section 21 type rule that prevents them owning any type of gun.

Sorry I’ve not been on for a while,really I feel that the air gun license in Scotland was more to appeal for votes than any issue with air gun crime.The laws are in place to deal with offenders it’s just not consistent in its application a crime involving an air gun should be dealt with the same way as a firearm.
Why do we see next to no crime involving legally held firearms in the uk some would say because there are so few,there’s actually millions.it’s because ownership in the uk is seen as a privilege that will be taken away after even a slight run in with the law.

Back