• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Jack Pyke waterproof smock

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I've just ordered one of these off fleabay in coyote brown, size xxl (to accommodate my long arms and love of baggy sweaters, not because I'm a porker) buying a large size just makes them much easier to get on and off.
It was a quarter of the price of my last smock so my expectations aren't quite as high but who knows? I may be pleasantly surprised... If so I'll let you know.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Ok, I've given it a fair amount of wear in some pretty extreme rain. It's reasonably robust and quiet as a shooting outer shell. While the fabric is waterproof the outer layer does absorb quite a lot of moisture and this moves down to the hem and cuffs, in effect concentrating the water and making your trousers and cuffs of any mid layer clothing wet. Fine if you're wearing matching waterproof trousers but otherwise....meh!
The waterproof zip up side pockets are great, they passed the tissue test (where you have a clean tissue in your pocket and then go out and get completely soaked)...the tissue in the side zip up pocket remained dry so matches or cigs would also probably be ok...
The colour blended in surprisingly well in a range of situations and the fabric is wind proof enough to keep you comfortable if combined with a decent mid layer. It isn't particularly breathable but then again what waterproof fabric is?
I would have preferred a detachable hood but since I knew it was fixed when I bought the smock it would be churlish to bitch about it. The hood fits well and has a lot of drawstrIng adjustment.
All in all I must admit that I like it...it's not as tough as the Alan Paine smock but much lighter and more versatile for packing down or wearing as an outer shell.

Shhhhhh , we don’t mention that one in the house 🤔😂 to much sing’y pish, or meh

Back