• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Jerk/Jerky/Dried Meat.

Keith

Very Addicted
Snow Walk for trek video 17-7-2015 003.JPG2.JPG LARGE3 REDUCED.jpg

Just to the right of my wigwam in the woods you will see my drying rack mounted on four forked sticks.

Keith.

Recently l have been giving some thought to how to store meat other than salting and smoking it. This is very useful although l can't see me slaughtering and butchering cattle by myself.

Recently l have been giving some thought to how to store meat other than salting and smoking it. This is very useful although l can't see me slaughtering and butchering cattle by myself.

It is not that hard to do Barbara, though skinning large buffalo is more work than doing cattle. I doubt you will have to tackle any buffalo over there:) You can skin & butcher a large beast on the ground, but if an animal is light enough to hang it is best done using a gambrel.
Gamble 001 REDUCED.jpg
Gambrel REDUCED.jpg

Keith.

Attachments

• Gamble 001.JPG
    Gamble 001.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 174
The problem with preserving big joints of meat is the butchery skills needed plus the preservation techniques needed. The likes of a lamb is easy enough but I've a very good chum up in northern Canada and prepping something like a moose is a multi person endevour.

Mostly, it's sheep round here but the local farmers usually keep a few cattle aswell. In winter they take them to lower ground so there aren't any too near at present. lf l'm on my own (or even for OH and l) l think a whole cow would be too much so l'll probably be looking at rabbits, pheasants and, from a bit further away (but an easy walk), fish. And no, l can't recall seeing any buffalo in the local area.

Back