• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Jerky

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
Well guys as promised, my first attempt at Jerky, can't call it Biltong as it isn't technically ??

So, 285g of silverside in 2 slices, being chopped up and ready for marinade

Marinated in Lea $ Perins, Soy sauce, Tobasco sauce and Nando's hot rub, about 5 hours in a zip lock bag in the fridge, then taken out and dabbed dry with kitchen towel.

Placed in the dehydrator

And on it's way

To this this morning

Over half the weight lost, tastes great, next time I'll cut it thinner though, this would be great as trail food and rehydrated in a stew / broth.

Way to go Bop...good job mate:thumbsup:
Like the idea of rehydrating in a stew/broth:thumbsup:
How long do you think it would keep in its dehydrated state??

Way to go Bop...good job mate:thumbsup:
Like the idea of rehydrating in a stew/broth:thumbsup:
How long do you think it would keep in its dehydrated state??

As it is straight from the dehydrator into a breathable bag, weeks ? frozen in a zip lock bag with the air taken out, months ? I'll ask the question to the guy that I copied this from, he uses it a lot :)

Proper job mate be interested to know what he thinks:thumbsup:
Definately leaning towards this method of food prep for the longer meets....especially in the warmer months:thumbsup:
Even winter....nice fresh stew on the go;)

Proper job mate be interested to know what he thinks:thumbsup:
Definately leaning towards this method of food prep for the longer meets....especially in the warmer months:thumbsup:
Even winter....nice fresh stew on the go;)

Yeah, definitely the way forward and really is so easy, no idea why it took me so long, I've had the dehydrator for months ?

So then Bop.....now the question.
Just had a look at the Deydrators on the bay.
They vary in size and price..of course.
So what do you and your friends reckon is a good starting model?
Buy once.

So then Bop.....now the question.
Just had a look at the Deydrators on the bay.
They vary in size and price..of course.
So what do you and your friends reckon is a good starting model?
Buy once.

Well he has the same as I do, or vise versa, I paid £25 iirc from the Telegraph

https://shop.telegraph.co.uk/buy/kitchen-gadgets/cooks-professional-food-dehydrator/80/no/101408

That said, obviously it's not a top of the range job, they run into the hundreds of ££££'s ?

Yes I saw the difference in prices mate.

The more efficient the better I suppose?
Being able to prepare different foods at the same time appeals.

Thanks for the link mate.....will defo look into this further:thumbsup:

Just asked the question and here's his reply, the guy is worth a look on Youtube for his adventures, especially those in the Adirondacks

"I keep the jerky i am using within a week just in a brown paper bag in the cupboard inside a tuperware and every couple of days i burp the box and let fresh air in so it doesn't go through any anaerobic decomposition, stuff i want to keep longer than a week i put in brown paper bags again in the same tubs but in the fridge and again burp the tub every few days, mine never lasts more than a month before i have scoffed it all so i can't speak for how long :D I did plan to make huge batches but instead I stick to small batches just so it is fresher when i use it, nice n easy to do really and the more you do it the more of a dab hand you get at how and what you flavour it with to suit your tastes."

Quote / unquote GGTBod...............thanks mate :)

Excellent Bop:thumbsup:

Been looking around and found this:

http://bestreviews.com/best-dehydrators

You have my juices running now :rofl:

Glad to be of service, oh eh Matron ;) The price of the first one is ouch ouch ouch :)

I thought you were to old to have any juices running:rofl:

Marinade, self basting, lubricating, all these will prolong the use by age ;)

Waste of time Dehydrating you OLD ONE......you are all ready there :p:rofl:

See above :)

I do quite a bit of home cooking, i don't think i'd get on with a dehydrater, i'm not knocking it, good luck to folks who do it ;)

I'd probs buy one, then it be just stuck in the kitchen cuboard, with all the other stuff that doesn't get used.

Back