• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Jobs and careers

I found my parcel of land much like Keith, by travelling round the area and looking for plots that haven't been worked then knocking on doors to find the owner. I ended up with 3 plots all under half an acre that the farmer couldn't work. I recently bought the last one for £900. It'only a little plot under a pylon but the soil is good and it will make a good garden. I have one that was a boggy corner, which is now a small lake that I've put fish in and I now harvest some very nice Perch every year as well as having a nice day out fishing I've bult a firepit and often camp there for a few days when time allows I bought it 20years ago for £200. That's where I would go if I needed to leave the house. You have to think outside the box and be willing to compromise a little. The woodland I have again was a piece of land that couldn't be worked because of the slope and it was too steep for cattle, so I planted a load of native trees and shrubs, mostly those that have an edible component. I've recently just put in some more hazel seeded with Truffle. It's a pig to work on but I only need to go there now and again. If you want the perfect plot, be prepared to have deep pockets.

Last edited:
Mike. If you have copies of deeds check for wayleaves on the plot under the pylon, if the pylon is on your land the power company may owe you rent.

It depends on how it was set up and worded, whether or not you benefit directly from the pylon etc but it can be worth while. I get rent from several BT poles on my land, it's not much but then again it's money for nothing.

jobs haha i have only had 2 i guess.

1st -straight from school in a toilet rool factory in midlands for a couple of years( dont think that will aid my prepping hahha)

2nd - Went on to the Army and to become an infantry man for the last 18 years.I think there is many skills and experiences although very diffrent from alot of you on here.But not in the way most of you will think, not in a physical way ie done the fighting and seen the worst of people.But more just a mind set to be able to think on my feet and able to adapt to surroundings.

Im coming out soon and looking forward to next step, but more looking forward to prepping and getting my garden/chickens and rabbits going.

Back