• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

July Wildcamp

Peatburner

Extremely Talkative
Did our July Wildcamp on Friday night. Had planned to camp on the island at Lochnidorb for a while as had heard of others doing .
Before going we tried to notify the owner of our intention but didn't get a reply.
IMG_20190713_135951.jpg IMG_20190713_121644.jpg
I used my £40 blow up canoe from Lidl which is pretty lightweight but was fine for job.
IMG-20190713-WA0015.jpg

We saw lots of greylag geese and a couple of black throated divers which you are warned not to get too close to.
The ruin was the castle of the Wolf of Badenoch who burned Elgin Cathedral.
IMG_20190712_212625.jpg IMG_20190712_211449.jpg
There was a nice clearing in the middle with a fire pit. I had taken a folding stove and wood so had a hot chocolate (beer for me) before watching bats flying around feasting on the midgies.
IMG_20190712_211416.jpg
IMG_20190712_221613.jpg
It was very atmospheric with a low mist coming down.
In the morning we had porridge with croissants before packing up and paddling back over to the car and then home.

Looks braw mate, not a place I'm familiar with but looks fun.

Looks fabulous , good effort with the inflatable canoe , I’ve a developing idea for a camp using mine if I can coordinate dates ..,,,

Aaaah how did that kettle do on the fire, was unsure myself and was just going to use gas..... Nice pics 👍👍👍

Hi Peatburner.

None of my business.........but I have to say it......do not place too much trust in the blow up Canoe.
That is quite an expanse of water you are paddling on.....that craft is not at all suitable and could land you in a lot of trouble......or worse.
Cant see from the photo if you are wearing a floatation device or have a paddle leash?
Fun on a small lake or slow/still river but nothing more.

Just thinking of your safety and well being mate........ tell me to Foxtrot Oscar if you like :thumbsup:

Looks like a lovely spot......thanks for sharing:)

Fair points well made.
I used to do a lot of kayaking so should have known better.
The blow up canoe has multiple chambers and would need to burst a few to cause it to sink. I did take the gear over in dry bags first then took my daughter over. You are right and what's worse I have buoyancy aids and didn't take them.

Back