• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Just a bit of hypothetical fun

spanner in the works!

I know the law would consider a man/woman a poacher if they were catching food to feed a hungry family on private property or any property that needs a license to fish etc (genuinely hungry) But! Would you ? (I mean you! as in all who posted lol)

Law is the law however there are certain circumstances in murder that allow a judge to acquit….. would there be the same for poaching?

Aye Up Ystranc/Ark,

The thread is titled ‘A Bit of Hypothetical Fun’ and my response is to a degree ‘a bit‘ tongue-in-cheek.(where’s that emoji?)🤔

I suspect full well that there are people of both ilks on here, much like there will be ‘stealth campers’ and
conversely land owners who dislike trespassers.

Personally - poachers and/or ‘stealth campers’ are both ‘sport’ for me.🤗
Provided that the poacher is a local one-for-the-pot man/woman if they get past us - fair play. (Very rarely)
The gaffer might (does) turn a blind eye.

If they are those who travel distance to thieve for commercial gain 😬 - again fair play if they’re good enough to get past us but when caught the consequences are a different story!

The same applies to trespassers - no sign, no damage, no heartache.
But wanton damage, theft of timber, dangerous fire practices etc - and it’s watch out!

My answer is who I would choose post SHTF when ‘the law’ is gone and it’s just about the (previous) character of the type of person propped up by JC who I would rather have with me. But that character is most likely to change anyway - me included! 😆

PS The executions wasn’t the tongue in cheek bit!

spanner in the works!

I know the law would consider a man/woman a poacher if they were catching food to feed a hungry family on private property or any property that needs a license to fish etc (genuinely hungry) But! Would you ? (I mean you! as in all who posted lol)

Law is the law however there are certain circumstances in murder that allow a judge to acquit….. would there be the same for poaching?
I guess it depends on whether their poaching for subsistence had any detrimental impact on me. In the end it comes down to the questions of… Are they competition? Are they a danger to me? etc… The meat from some larger animals could even be shared rather than wasted in the absence of refrigeration.

Well the crap has well and truly hit the fan and it's time to get out of there
BUT you HAVE to take another person with you and you only get a choice
From between two who come from wildly differing backgrounds
You have to decide between either a game keeper or a poacher;)

So which one are you going to choose and why

For me it has to be the poacher every time because round here they probably know the fields and woods even better than I do
Ok, back to the OP…. Game keeper and poacher would probably have very similar skill sets except that the game keeper would have additional skills related to rearing game birds, fencing etc.
I know of one local ex game keeper (retired not fired) who has a fantastic collection of traps that he has confiscated over the years.
For me the question is pretty meaningless, it would very much depend on the man himself.

Back