• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Just a bit of hypothetical fun

The way this thread has developed is a good example of why preppers are not taken seriously or viewed as potential trouble makers - two separate assertions in the thread suggest thieving and shooting trespassers are a viable way forward. Disappointing.

The way this thread has developed is a good example of why preppers are not taken seriously or viewed as potential trouble makers - two separate assertions in the thread suggest thieving and shooting trespassers are a viable way forward. Disappointing.
In a total breakdown of society would you not steal if the survival of your family depended on it? As for shooting somebody I think a person would have to be pushed to their limit before contemplating that

taken out of context as usual, those remarks were made in view of a WROL situation, post collapse NOT before it.
I suppose most people would just sit back and let themselves be robbed and possibly killed after wards???

taken out of context as usual, those remarks were made in view of a WROL situation, post collapse NOT before it.
I suppose most people would just sit back and let themselves be robbed and possibly killed after wards???
That's the beauty of living in a democracy loney, people are free to form their own opinions and also to voice them

That's the beauty of living in a democracy loney, people are free to form their own opinions and also to voice them
as long as they stick to the facts and don't twist them to their own advantage.

True but what we see as facts some others might see differently
I have no problem with anyone having a different opinion, it when they use that different opinion to castigate others and try to make them look bad, human nature I suppose but it p###es me off.

opinions....yes.
its when opinions get taken as facts that things get confused.

A poacher can come under two categories one the person takes for gain like money
Two a person trying to feed himself and his family this is the type of person I would pick for my companion they will know we're to go and how to stay hidden

I have no problem with anyone having a different opinion, it when they use that different opinion to castigate others and try to make them look bad, human nature I suppose but it p###es me off.

Pot calling the kettle ther lone

A poacher can come under two categories one the person takes for gain like money
Two a person trying to feed himself and his family this is the type of person I would pick for my companion they will know we're to go and how to stay hidden
Well chosen mate

one who takes anything for monetary gain is a thief, someone who takes a rabbit or pheasant just to feed their family is a scavenger, some would say the two are the same, but I disagree.

hard to say, a poacher at the end of the day is a thief and in a SHTF situation you don't need a thief around you.
however, a game keeper would probably be too strait laced and "by the book", so a difficult decision.
if I had my choice I would take one of my new age, homeless friends who have spent years living off the countryside and what they can scrounge.
Important point of law; poaching is “taking game by trespass”, not theft because game is not classed as property. Once game, for example pheasants, are released they are able to freely cross boundaries therefore the person that releases them must accept that they no longer own them and can no longer shoot them once they’ve passed the boundary. It is the act of causing harm by taking game while trespassing that is the crime that is described as poaching.
Interesting example; If a country estate bred pheasants but the pheasants came over the boundary onto my woodland and the estate shoot trespassed and shot the birds on my property they would be poaching, even though they had bred the birds. They would also be likely to be found guilty of armed trespass.

Last edited:
As this thread has been resurrected -

‘Wildly differing backgrounds’ isn’t qualified so assumption has to be stereotypical assumptions.

Therefore -

‘Hypothetically’ -

Gamekeeper gets my vote.

Rationale:

Gamekeeper recognises (recognised) boundaries; (less likely to steal my gear);
More likely to have had formal/structured training and critical assessment to do the job/use weapons so theoretically should be more capable and safer - around me!
More likely to know his terrain intimately (if he’s a good one).

Poacher - doesn’t recognise boundaries (might thieve my kit; my food etc).
Likely to deploy infrequently so might know same old routes and same old terrain but overall nowhere near that of a good gamey.
A chancer I don’t want around me in SHTF.

Poacher-turned-gamekeeper = doesn’t recognise boundaries AND is an untrustworthy traitor to his kind -
execute immediately in SHTF scenario.

Gamekeeper-turned-poacher = an untrustworthy traitor who has decided to no longer recognise boundaries (might thieve my kit; my food etc) and, if he was a good gamey, will know the terrain intimately, potentially to my detriment!

Pigeons put that cat bet the has amongst the!
🤣🤣🤣

And armed trespass can carry a relatively stiff punishment!

As this thread has been resurrected -

‘Wildly differing backgrounds’ isn’t qualified so assumption has to be stereotypical assumptions.

Therefore -

‘Hypothetically’ -

Gamekeeper gets my vote.

Rationale:

Gamekeeper recognises (recognised) boundaries; (less likely to steal my gear);
More likely to have had formal/structured training and critical assessment to do the job/use weapons so theoretically should be more capable and safer - around me!
More likely to know his terrain intimately (if he’s a good one).

Poacher - doesn’t recognise boundaries (might thieve my kit; my food etc).
Likely to deploy infrequently so might know same old routes and same old terrain but overall nowhere near that of a good gamey.
A chancer I don’t want around me in SHTF.

Poacher-turned-gamekeeper = doesn’t recognise boundaries AND is an untrustworthy traitor to his kind -

Gamekeeper-turned-poacher = an untrustworthy traitor who has decided to no longer recognise boundaries (might thieve my kit; my food etc) and, if he was a good gamey, will know the terrain intimately, potentially to my detriment!

Pigeons put that cat bet the has amongst the!
🤣🤣🤣
Pigeons? Delicious! There isn’t likely to be any real upset on the here over your comment SF, there are both types on the forum…personally I am perfectly capable of feeding myself off my own beat and would prefer others not to poach, however I’m also capable of building a fish wheel and night lining or netting rivers which would be major league poaching offence so there are almost certainly some double standards at work here…

Back