• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Just bought this...

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I've just bought this knife from a dealer over the weekend, it's from a rather rare maker called Wingfield and Rowbotham in Sheffield. The firm operated between around 1750 and 1900. This knife is an early one.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

If you examine the photos you will see how the ends of the springs and blades are flush when the knife is closed, real quality manufacture. There is one of these in the V&A.

Very nice @Ystranc
Can imagine and old man sitting in the woods whittling with that, or maybe an old ploughman using it to eat his lunch

Do you restore any mike ?
I don't really restore them, maybe a clean, sharpen and a thin film of oil to protect them. I've also done a couple of handles on full tang knive like the Kukri.
I do a lot of axe handles as well as putting an edge on them...as much to make them safe as it is to make them pretty.

I've just bought this knife from a dealer over the weekend, it's from a rather rare maker called Wingfield and Rowbotham in Sheffield. The firm operated between around 1750 and 1900. This knife is an early one.View attachment 19490View attachment 19491View attachment 19492View attachment 19493View attachment 19494
If you examine the photos you will see how the ends of the springs and blades are flush when the knife is closed, real quality manufacture. There is one of these in the V&A.
Something like that makes you realise just how skilled the craftsmen were back in those days

I don't really restore them, maybe a clean, sharpen and a thin film of oil to protect them. I've also done a couple of handles on full tang knive like the Kukri.
I do a lot of axe handles as well as putting an edge on them...as much to make them safe as it is to make them pretty.

Watched a few vids on refurbished knifes. Looks tedious but fun lol. But am not sure if it’s worth wile doing as I can’t see it making much difference to the value of a knife... hence the question lol . Because if you said you did then that was my next question lol

To my mind full refurbishment does away with the authenticity of the knife, I like to be able to feel the age of it. I don't often buy something that would need refurbishing unless it's of real historic interest. Unless a pocket knife is at least 50 years old I'm not really that interested in it.

Back