• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Just started Prepping

Gazo

Very Addicted
Hi Guys,

Been prepping for a few months now, mainly stock piling food.
Just been adding a few extra cans and packets etc to our weekly shop.
I have been watching a few videos on utube and realise people prep for many different reasons, my main reason for stocking up on extra food would mainly be the weather.
I remember the bad snow we had here in Wales back in the 80s think it was 86 all roads impassable and my dad walked miles in the snow to feed the family.
But I am aware there are other reasons so what ever happens we should be ok for food for a good while and no real need to go out searching for food.

So why do you guys prep?

Not a pepper as such mate.
But.....given the warnings of a possible bad winter this year it sounds like a sensible thing to do.

I remember last year's bout of snow.....super market shelves had hardly anything left on them after about 3 days.
People panic buying......bread milk eggs etc.

Gazo

Very Addicted
Yes they are saying it will be a bad winter this year which does tend to happen when we have had a good summer. I heard/read somewhere its going to be the worse for 10 years which will bring the UK to a standstill again.
So worth getting a few extras in just in case.

Might also be worth thinking about a fuel reserve for the vehicles.............a few litres tucked away :thumbsup:
If the food can't get through.....nor will the fuel tankers.
Once we start getting closer to the predicted bad weather and its talked about more in the media........ it will be harder to do..........with queues at the pumps forming and possible rationing.

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
yea like your thinking gazo, I live in wales too and we never know how bad the winters are going to be
looks like you got your food sorted, how about water cooking and heat , have you got them sorted to?

Gazo

Very Addicted
yea like your thinking gazo, I live in wales too and we never know how bad the winters are going to be
looks like you got your food sorted, how about water cooking and heat , have you got them sorted to?
Hi mate, water is my next thing to think about I have some bottle water stored but looking in to filtering and storing rain water.
I have a few camping style gas cookers plus a few bushcraft wood stoves that I made a few years ago that work well and as I do alot of woodworking in my workshop I have been saving all my scrap wood for a good few years now.
Not really looked into heating as such, maybe something else I should look into.

Until very recently preppers, to me, conjoured up images of nut jobs in America stockpiling guns etc in case of the end of the world. Personally the term was a bit of a comic label to me and just something that Louis Theroux made tv shows about. I still wouldn’t go as far as calling myself a prepper and to my mind I’m just living with a similar mindset to my grandparents and parents. I live in a rural area so occasionally when we get adverse weather the power goes out so I keep candles, torches and batteries in stock. I also work out of my truck and don’t always know what I’ll be doing or where in the course of the day so I keep a minimum of 5L of water and some dehydrated rations just in case along side my tools. Last time I met up with friends from London and opened the back of said truck the first comment was “when are the Russians coming?”, it had never crossed my mind before that it was anything unusual to keep stuff you might need handy. I think the whole idea of prepping is a bit of a misnomer, in its basic form it’s how all our ancestors lived until very recently and being unprepared is a relatively recent new “normal” :sad:

Baytree

Very Talkative
Until very recently preppers, to me, conjoured up images of nut jobs in America stockpiling guns etc in case of the end of the world. Personally the term was a bit of a comic label to me and just something that Louis Theroux made tv shows about. I still wouldn’t go as far as calling myself a prepper and to my mind I’m just living with a similar mindset to my grandparents and parents. :sad:
That's an attitude I can identify with. I don't have a bunker and enough weapons to fight a small war and I don't worrry about hoards of zombies but I do keep an eye open to the possibility of problems or shortages or disruptions of sorts. We have stocks of food and more in the garden , stocks of blankets soap and toilet paper , seriously check out the problems in Venezuela toilet paper was one of the first things to disappear and one of the first things people complained about. I keep a supply of diesel and some petrol too. Legally I can't store more than 30L of petrol but as it is only used in tools it should keep me active for a while. I also have a good store of firewood and several gas bottles should we have serious power supply problems. There's also a store of clean water although I would like more but if things went really pear shaped there's over a 1000 L outside that could be filtered and a stream not too far away although I'd have to carry it up hill.
One other reason is to give us a little edge on inflation. Whatever ones opinion on brexit the cynic in me thinks that either way it'll be used as an excuse to raise prices so buying now rather than later makes sense to me at least.
Lastly having stocks allows me to feel smug when I see people running around supermarkets like headless chickens complaining there's nothing on the shelves.

Spock

Slightly Talkative
Living rural for more than 30 years and being vulnerable to power cuts, I've collected a few 'necessities' over the years - generator etc, etc, but just recently I've started popping extra items into my online shopping basket, never thought of bog roll - I'll have to remember that!

Though, if we do have a bad winter I've always got my series 3 with all-terrain tyres to get some supplies in.

Baytree

Very Talkative
In some respects the bog roll is a bit of an odd one. On one hand there are alternatives , moss or newspaper for example or washing , we've survived for thousands of years without it yet nowadays it's viewed as one of life's essentials . People really complain if it's in short supply ( and don't get me started on how much some people use) .While it may take a bit of room it luckily doesn't really need any special storage requirements other than to be kept dry and away from mice or vermin , it's cheap and if everything turns to the brown and smelly would probably be good for barter.

1 shot willie

Administrator
Staff member
Being all electric with oil fired central heating/water etc, my open fire closed up and chimney removed - I decided to buy a wee emergency gas canister heater. Just a cheapy to match my one ring cooker. :D

I've got a fair amount of emergency equipment building up - granted, most of it was gotten years ago when my wife was ill and required a constant supply of leccy for her pump feed, hospital bed, etc. The list is getting quite extensive...

3000watt inverter
2 x Heavy duty deep cycle batteries
Petrol Generator
8 x Paraffin lamps
2 x Large paraffin heaters
Paraffin
4 x 12v DC lamps
Boxes of candles
Portable 12v battery booster/starter/phone charger etc
Solar/Cranked torch (just bought)
4 x Battery torches
2 x MP3 players (need my sounds)
Canister gas cooker
Canister gas heater (just bought)
Lots of spare gas canisters (extra just bought)
Appropriate cookware & kettle

Now in the process of stocking up some grub. :thumbsup:

I'm not planning to survive armageddon or owt, just prepping incase of bad weather affecting my power supply in wintertime. I mostly depend on my shopping being delivered as it's cheaper than using my Landy - besides, it's mostly nutters on the roads these days. :p