• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keeping The Air We Breathe Clean

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
Extremely low here, 1 out of 6, good.
didn't London used to have smog, pee souper they used to call it, I think caused by the burning of coal.
Malaysia seems to have an on going problem with smog and the US I believe is the worlds biggest polluted- no surprise there.
a lot of the trouble here comes from people burning coal in log burners!!

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Extremely low here, 1 out of 6, good.
didn't London used to have smog, pee souper they used to call it, I think caused by the burning of coal.
Malaysia seems to have an on going problem with smog and the US I believe is the worlds biggest polluted- no surprise there.
a lot of the trouble here comes from people burning coal in log burners!!
I understand the China have made significant moves to reduce air pollution following the negative press they received after the Beijing Olympics, and certainly India has terrible problems in some of their industrial areas.

I am unsurprised by the US being a major polluter.

Unfortunately this is very much a case of local issues becoming a global problem and pollution, wherever it occurs, eventually affects us all.

lonewolf

even buggies can have problems, prams used to face towards the mother or whoever was pushing it, but buggies FACE forward and are open to road pollution. cant do the kids much good, I wonder if that's why a lot of kids have asthma?

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Good post BB, we need to be aware of what we're breathing and putting into the atmosphere.
We do. One of the most graphic illustrations of how fragile the atmosphere came when I was watching kids TV programme with my (then) young daughter. In this programme they visited the NASA Space Centre and were talking to a "modern generation" astronaut. The chap had a UK football and explained the if you painted the football with one layer of emulsion that is how thin the layer of the atmosphere actually is. It really made me think.

lonewolf

been through there many years ago, the signage was so bad I went round in circles and went through it TWICE, on a bike.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I would guess (and it is a guess) that MK come sup lower because most of the main roads are separated from residential streets by trees and also are all 40mph plus, hence less stopping and starting. Much car pollution comes from near stationary traffic, and urban journeys.

Max Swain

Very Talkative
I would guess (and it is a guess) that MK come sup lower because most of the main roads are separated from residential streets by trees and also are all 40mph plus, hence less stopping and starting. Much car pollution comes from near stationary traffic, and urban journeys.
We have a lot of trees & green space but speed limits are 60-70mph on the grid system & most other roads with 20-40 on residential streets.

Ystranc

Interesting thought, we could reduce UK emmisions from traffic by close to 30% overnight by reducing the speed limit to 55mph and encouraging drivers to leave a minimum 2 second gap between each other as a buffer for manoeuvring and breaking. As a side effect of this roads would be safer and flow more smoothly although some journeys could take longer. The emissions from standing traffic in cities is a more difficult issue but hybrid and stop/start engines can partially address this. Also driving at night during off peak times.
To illustrate this point; I use 30% less fuel driving to London at a constant moderate speed overnight while there is comparatively little traffic. Even though the van is fully laden on the outgoing journey the return journey in traffic with an empty van costs more.

Last edited:

lonewolf

we have a 70MPH speed limit now and do people stick to it? no they don't, they pass me on motorways doing 90 or more usually in the middle or outside lane, I know this because BIL and SIL have admitted driving like this and they aren't the only ones, so trying to make people reduce their speed to 55 is I think a non starter.

lonewolf

wasn't there some talk of INCREASING it to 80mph to "make the traffic less congested" back along? seems to have died a death.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Interesting thought, we could reduce UK emmisions from traffic by close to 30% overnight by reducing the speed limit to 55mph and encouraging drivers to leave a minimum 2 second gap between each other as a buffer for manoeuvring and breaking. As a side effect of this roads would be safer and flow more smoothly although some journeys could take longer. The emissions from standing traffic in cities is a more difficult issue but hybrid and stop/start engines can partially address this. Also driving at night during off peak times.
To illustrate this point; I use 30% less fuel driving to London at a constant moderate speed overnight while there is comparatively little traffic. Even though the van is fully laden on the outgoing journey the return journey in traffic with an empty van costs more.
Some interesting thoughts there. Incidentally I often wonder why most people in cities and towns that are white collar workers have 9 - 5 hours. It would make sense for companies to have staggered attendance patterns to reduce traffic congestion and, hence, pollution.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
we have a 70MPH speed limit now and do people stick to it? no they don't, they pass me on motorways doing 90 or more usually in the middle or outside lane, I know this because BIL and SIL have admitted driving like this and they aren't the only ones, so trying to make people reduce their speed to 55 is I think a non starter.
Thinking has moved on a little these days, my car, a Ford with an Ecoboost engine is most efficient at around 65mph in top gear, so built for optimum cleanliness on the motorways etc.

lonewolf

I didn't think people had 9-5 jobs anymore, at least that's what the wife keeps telling me!
I generally drive at around 60-65 with a burst up to 70 when overtaking trucks then back down to 65, I tend to cruise rather than drive fast, I never was a boy racer!