• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keeping warm when sleeping

Shady

Very Addicted
Ok now winter is here (even though it is still mild), the most important part of my kit didn't cost that much, i got a woodland camo 100gsm sleeping bag for Xmas, and i bought a Norweigian bivvy bag for £15, which came complete with a wooly blanket and sheet.... now the aim is to attach the blanket and sheet inside of the bivvy bag using the buttons, then insert the sleeping bag for extra warmth and comfort during those cold nights in the outdoors. I will also use a hot water bottle inside of the sleeping bag before i get ready to settle down for the night so that as soon as i get into it, the warmth should surround me for the remainder of my sleep time.

Night-time tempratures during winter can be as low as -10 in most parts of the UK, and even worse in the highlands of Scotland. It is also a good idea to wear thermal underwear, a hat and some socks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that for February shady, 100gsm might be a bit thin for the temps we "may" have!, might be worth a risk as you have a blanket and bivi bag, but dont forget a roll mat or even better a "thermarest" or similar product, (self inflating mat).

For potential temperatures of 0c to -15 I would be trying for a 4 season sleeping bag, with bivi bag, liner, and thermarest.........most 4 season bags will be rated from +4c comfort to -10c extreme. these sorts of bags are around the 300gsm mark

i forgot to mention i have sleeping mats and fleeces on hand

one of natures insulators is "bracken" "straw" etc etc, so if it gets too bad mate then we will have a mooch about for some gear for you in that form, and if we get time and chance I will help set up a full shelter from the woodland that is around us (with permission) and build a fire in font of that, and show you how something like that can increase the temp by as mush as 10c or more!!!!!

would be great that mate.... how much kit are you bringing with you?? I've got around a bootfull pmsl

Mr walkies i would be very intrested on helping out with that one mate also ,, could learn a thing or two from you if you dont mind me leaching ?

very minimalistic mate!!! I would have had a bergen but as i'm bringing lil with me i suppose i had to bring some luxuries (like a tent)

In my bergen, is my shelter/food/clothes/cooking utensils/waterproofs/knife/machete/survival pack/soap/clean underwear/toiletries/spade..........all in one bag!

very minimalistic mate!!! I would have had a bergen but as i'm bringing lil with me i suppose i had to bring some luxuries (like a tent)

dont you worry yourself on my account you can go under a shelter if you like means more room for me in tent lol :p

One tip i will give you to keep warm at night is this. Take off all your daytime clothes, including your socks. It sounds odd but you will be much warmer with fresh clothes for night time only.:D

Back