• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Kettle lid

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Nothing is more critical to survival than a proper cuppa.

This morning my clever wife manufactured a dodgy kettle lid for a whistling Billy.

After seven years cooking in 30- 40 dehgrees heat, our Lead Acid batteries have started to feel their age. This last three months, when turned on in combination with water heater, dishwasher or washing machine, has been overloading the system and tripping in the generator.

So we went digging around for an old gas stove kettle. Which we found but minus its lid. So my wife spent ten minutes on the tools this morning and fabricated a wooden one which gave me a good chuckle when I saw it.

Necessity is the mother of invention out bush. 🤣

20220813_131049.jpg

20220813_131118.jpg

Alan

If it works, that is all that matters. I’m currently looking for a big iron one that can just sit in the edge of a campfire but I’m coming up blank.

Nothing is more critical to survival than a proper cuppa.

This morning my clever wife manufactured a dodgy kettle lid for a whistling Billy.

After seven years cooking in 30- 40 dehgrees heat, our Lead Acid batteries have started to feel their age. This last three months, when turned on in combination with water heater, dishwasher or washing machine, has been overloading the system and tripping in the generator.

So we went digging around for an old gas stove kettle. Which we found but minus its lid. So my wife spent ten minutes on the tools this morning and fabricated a wooden one which gave me a good chuckle when I saw it.

Necessity is the mother of invention out bush. 🤣

View attachment 115343

View attachment 115344

Alan
Necessity is the mother of invention

If it works, that is all that matters. I’m currently looking for a big iron one that can just sit in the edge of a campfire but I’m coming up blank.
Look on eBay for a le crusset kettle; I paid a fiver for one collected locally as postage would be high! The bloke I got mine from Basically told me (through gritted teeth) that his wife had decided to change to kitchen colour scheme and had bought a new one!

Look on eBay for a le crusset kettle; I paid a fiver for one collected locally as postage would be high! The bloke I got mine from Basically told me (through gritted teeth) that his wife had decided to change to kitchen colour scheme and had bought a new one!

You saved a fortune there, those things can go upwards of a couple of hundred quid

Think they’re about £75 for a kettle but the full sets are hundreds and very heavy to carry; I once collected something for a friend and discovered it was a boxed le crueset cook set that weighted about 25kg!

Think they’re about £75 for a kettle but the full sets are hundreds and very heavy to carry; I once collected something for a friend and discovered it was a boxed le crueset cook set that weighted about 25kg!

Sounds about right, I know how heavy by Dutch oven and griddle plate weigh. Incidentally the Dutch oven is brilliant for cooking sough dough bread

Back