• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Kettle

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
They are good for the money Harry.....šŸ‘

Looks good Willie. I got an American 20 cup percolator off a mate of mine, too big to brew coffee unless you want a gallon but I use it to heat water.

No, no, no no, no!

This are lightweight trekking kettles, probably lower quality, mainly for gas stove or spiritus use!

The Decathlon Kettle seems to be proper bomb proof wood fire quality.
Through around and step on stuff.

Decathlon recommends it for wood fires.
This kettle is definitely constructed for bushcrafters.

I don't own it, but I am not far away from buying it, because it seems to be very well made and incredibly cheap.

See, that small kettle weights 340g, containing 1 litre! That is relatively heavy. And of course durable.

I've used aluminum kettles on an open fire without problem, just don't let it boil dry.

If you want a bomb proof kettle and don't mind paying extra you won't beat the Eagle brand kettle

0.7l through to 4l sizes available.... best kettle going IMHO.

I doubt that a cheap 1 litre, 160 g aluminium kettle with plastic handles, would be a good recommendation for wood fires.

I managed to melt such stuff.
Not the kettle itself, but the attachment of the wire handle.

I've used similar kettles, branded Gelert and nothing burnt but then I tend to cook over embers/folding fire grill... Actually I'm a fantastic camp cook all modesty aside :)

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Of course I didn't melt it over a small water boiling fire. It was a proper heating fire in late autumn.
We had been young and used the cheap lightweight stuff, like we usually used our Bundeswehr stuff.
And so we learned something about aluminium...

I hope you learned that aluminum is pretty much the best conductor of heat, spreading heat better than stainless steel and makes great pots and pans from a thermal point of view once you know what your doing. Why did you put a small kettle on a large fire? makes no sense.

Have you tried the Eagle kettle I linked to? Worth the money.

We usually had a heating fire in the tent and hanged a heavy aluminium 6 litres pot over it or a Bundeswehr mess kit.

The eagle kettle I discovered a couple of days before in a video but didn't know who makes it.

I really look at everything in every outdoor shop I come along. I never have seen this kettle in Germany.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Aluminium is great stuff, can't beat it for heat conduction! If you went back 150-200 years ago they were using tin kettles, now there was something you had to be careful with! Everyone wants these fancy fang dangled titanium cook kits nowadays. I thing they are overpriced rubbish myself. Used an ally trangia cook kit for years, and before that a ww2 cook kit yet again aluminium. When I first started out I had an old 2 pint cream churn that I still have today! Only changed to stainless zebra because it's a bit tougher, but takes a lot longer to boil than any aluminium pots I have owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean that if an aluminium kettle is to light and thin and to cheap, the attachment of the handles could melt.

Of course heavy military stuff works very well.

British Army mess tins are underrated these days, they are a good bit of kit, I have some that are a lot older than me LOL

Back