• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Kettle

Years ago I threw my kettles away and use since decades the normal pot.

I melted thin an cheap aluminium dishes with nice mid sized winter camping heat fires made from oak and beech.

That works very well and I can recommend it to everybody.

;0)

So Erbswurst you want us to make a nice fire from hard wood trees then melt our aluminium kettles on it? The only things I melt on a fire are things like snow and butter/lard.

"Bannock and Honey is nice too " it is :) At the moment I'm into pancakes, big thick USA style with maple syrup/butter on and some crisp cooked smoked streaky bacon...I am yearning the stuff, there must be something missing in my diet!

Reactions: lol
Here’s my current lightweight kettle set up !

He could put it on a fire without problem so long as it does not boil dry. Erbswurst, I have a feeling you can't or don't cook much, you come across as very inexperienced in camp cooking; I could be wrong but doubt it.

It isn't my beloved hobby to cook, yes!

But, ah, may be 2000 meals on wood fire and 2000 on camping gas stoves I cooked probably.
But usually I watched others!

I don't know this kettles, that's all!

May be you have a better quality than I destroyed.

4000 meals! Over 10 years thats 400 a year, over one a day, you must live in the woods LOL

Over the years I've seen some bushcrafters cook food, seem happy with it but has made me wonder what they eat at home if they are happy with their camp offerings.

Cooking at camp is one of the most rewarding things you can do in the woods or the moors, I'm not talking about boil in the bag/dehydrated junk, I'm talking about real food. Learn to cook Erbswurst...your out door experience will improve. Learn at home, ask mom to teach you, cooking is not that difficult.

4000 meals! Over 10 years thats 400 a year, over one a day, you must live in the woods LOL

Over the years I've seen some bushcrafters cook food, seem happy with it but has made me wonder what they eat at home if they are happy with their camp offerings.

Cooking at camp is one of the most rewarding things you can do in the woods or the moors, I'm not talking about boil in the bag/dehydrated junk, I'm talking about real food. Learn to cook Erbswurst...your out door experience will improve. Learn at home, ask mom to teach you, cooking is not that difficult.

Aye, part of the fun for me is scran time. I enjoy cooking anyway and even more so when out and about. Cheated last night, used a couple tins of cheap chicken in white sauce as the base and added a lot of dehydrated veggies and herbs to flavour it up, diced and shallow fried tatties to go with it. Washed down with some rouge for me and lager for Smurf. Voila !

Planning on getting out with the Dutch oven again but that's for shorter walks.

Yes, I nearly lived in the woods and on camping grounds whole my life, that's true!
I am camping since more than 40 years.

I lived for more than 10 years in a small wooden garden house, usually cooking outdoors.

Last year I was camping for 4 month without intermission for example.
Hanging posters in French towns, sleeping at camping grounds or wild camping every day in France. And additional another 8 weeks in Germany or even more, I didn't count. Sometimes I use hostels and hotels too in Germany.

The point is, that as a boy scout leader I usually was playing the guitar and was singing with the group, when we were sitting around the camp fire in the evening.
The others were cutting and cooking in the time, but I was playing the guitar.

That's why I haven't so much experience with cooking and usually kept it simple. But now a days I am more and more interested in it.

Last edited:
So long we live there is a chance to correct faults and to learn missing skills!

In school I was really bad in English for example. Slowly I can understand it!

This should fit better in the next size pot, because that nose isn't so long.

That's disturbing me at the Decathlon kettle as well as at the first mentioned kettle in this thread.

But I think ( not sure) Decathlon and the first mentioned have the kettle made out of one piece of steel, like a pot. I think that's better than a attached bottom like in Ark 79's photo.

May be, that it doesn't matter really, but theoretically I see here an important difference of quality.

Ark's kettle will survive only 200 years, but perhaps the others far longer?

If they digg us out they probably will call us in three thousand years the "Zebra billy can - British army mug - culture".

But may be the Decathlon construction is as long lasting, as the Zebra can, because it's made from mainly one piece?

I hate kettles, but I slowly start to decide to buy one, just to see how long it survives misuse....

Back