• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Khyam Biker Tent Plus.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
The cogs are turning again and I am looking at a replacement for my much loved "Slumit Gobi 3 tent".
This tent has provided me with good secure shelter in some very rough weather and never leaked or failed me.....so it is a reluctant parting of the ways.
The main reason for the change is head height.......I really do need room to stand up......shuffling around on my back to get dressed/undressed....socks and boots on....... is an awkward and painful exercise.......not to mention frustrating.
The Slumit only ever gets used from out the back of the car so the size and weight is not a concern.

Got a replacement in mind but still pondering.

Looking at the "Kyham Biker Plus Tent"..........it is a similar "Quick Pitch System....... like the Slumit.

Reactions: lol
Go for it Bill. I have a small 2 man Khyam tent I bought new in the 1990's and it's still going strong. Used it for weekend dive trips Just a small repair in the groundsheet but still waterproof.

Hi Dick.

Yes....I think I will do mate :thumbsup:

With some of the types of camping we do.....there are bound to be repairs now and then.....no matter how carful we try to be.
You have certainly had good use and service from your's.

They can supply.....as an extra..... a nice footprint....looks to be nice tough material.
The only down side being it is very near the same size as the tent....so could mean water ingress to the vestibule from run off.... or pooling under the tent between the layers.
I like my footprints to be at least 3 inches smaller all around......so will more than likely make my own to fit how I want it.

No more bum shuffling and dancing :rofl:

Last edited:
Been pondering over the options of what to use for the new tents Footprint.
Having a look at what I have here.... I found two SOL blankets in the cupboard.
Nice tough blankets with a heat reflecting foil type back......handy for the colder months......and I think perfect for the job......once trimmed to the shape and size wanted.
Will be adding some grommets for pegging out in rough weather.

solutilityblanketlarge3.jpg

Will have a play when the tent arrives :thumbsup:

Attachments

• solutilityblanketlarge3.jpg
    solutilityblanketlarge3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 23
Still waiting on this one..... and chomping on the bit :rofl:
Sent Kyham a mail to ask about update on delivery......got a speedy reply from customer services (very good) explaining that they are waiting for the container to dock :rolleyes::D
Just my luck it will be pizzing down and gales of wind when it is time to practice and play for the first time :D

Maybe next week 🤔

As promised........had a mail from Kyham today to say the tent is on its way :thumbsup:
Waiting for delivery day/date from the courier now.......getting there :whistle::D

At last......the tent has landed.
Got a free day tomorrow.....so will hopefully have the tent out for a practice and play.

First thing I have noticed is the generously sized carry bag 👍

Attachments

• 20210813_141106.jpg
    20210813_141106.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210813_135457.jpg
    20210813_135457.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 84
Must make a point of saying that Khyam have been very helpful and prompt replying to Emails......great customer services.....could not have been more helpful.

Itching to get outside and put the tent up for the first time......bloody weather is so threatening at the moment though.....looks like the heavens could open up at any minute.
Might give it an hour or two and see if we get a break 🤔

There are two types of pegs that come with the tent.....the dreaded heavy wire type 🤮....and also some rigid nylon types.
I will hold on to a few of the wire pegs....but only to hold the footprint in place on the ground.....I would not trust them at all with the general tent security itself.

So have added some "Geer Top" 7 1/2 inch high strength aluminium Y's........and 10x of the 11 inch "Geer Top" heavy duty pegs into the mix.

The line tensioners look very robust and well made.....but I may change and replace them with "Clam Cleats" later on.....see how it goes 🤔

Impressed with the repair/accessory kit that comes with the tent.....but have added some "Sill-Tec" silicone seam sealer and a small brush.....just in case :whistle::)

More to follow after pitching and inspection of build quality and operation. :)

Back