• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife attempt ver1.5

speider

Slightly Talkative
Hands up who has seen the article in the magazine about making a knife out of a circular saw blade? I had never even thought about that! I have tried before to make a knife of my own but without seeing the steel that I'm using then its difficult to know what thickness to choose and I ordered a bar which was far too thick and I didn't get any further than cutting out the basic shape.

I REALLY like the look of the Woodlore Knife (all but the price tag) so after reading the article, I sourced an old crappy blade and tried to base my design on that. Sorry Ray, but if I had the money then I would still buy one of yours.

IMG_0633.jpg IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0640.jpg IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0666.jpg

I'm properly impressed with how it turned out! It's very light though, I thought the handle would have added some weight but not so much at all. Maybe a more dense hardwood? Just need to polish up the blade and get making a sheath.

I do have some rosewood and another blade for another knife which is slightly thicker so I'll use that one next. It's from a diamond blade though rather than a chop saw blade, will see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 136
Hay thanks!! I've been carting it around work with me today and its coping well. I have to admit that it does feel like I'm going to break it though.

Back