• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife craftsman, Kelly Rentfro

Standing Crane

Slightly Talkative
Twenty years ago I purchased two great knives from Mr. Rentfro, and I still have both of them. I am trying to reconnect with Mr. Rentfro. I believe he may be in Geneva, ID., on U.S. 89. If anyone can provide any more specific information, I'd appreciate it, ie; a phone number, or any other way to reconnect.

Thank you for any help,
Standing Crane

Hi SC.

Welcome to the Bushcraft Forum.

Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the welcome section.
In there you will find the forum rules, they are worth reading.

Thank you.

Hi 1 shot willie, thank you for the heads up. I'd love to introduce myself to you and all the other members of the forum. However, I am having some challenges navigating the site, I know, my lack of skill sets. It took me at least 5 minutes just to locate your message. I will start looking for the welcome section, and once I have located it, I will gladly share intro info, and respond to any questions. I'm honestly not totally inane, but I'm honestly a version of Stone Hinge when it comes to computers.

Hi 1 shot willie, thank you for the heads up. I'd love to introduce myself to you and all the other members of the forum. However, I am having some challenges navigating the site, I know, my lack of skill sets. It took me at least 5 minutes just to locate your message. I will start looking for the welcome section, and once I have located it, I will gladly share intro info, and respond to any questions. I'm honestly not totally inane, but I'm honestly a version of Stone Hinge when it comes to computers.

Hi SC. :)

No problem at all mate, take your time find your way around and settle in, soon get the hang of things :thumbsup:
We both have something in common from the get go.........I am a total technophobe as it happens :rolleyes::rofl:;)

Good luck with the search for your friend hope you are able to reconnect with him:)

1 Shot Willie, thank you for the feedback. Actually, I'm trying to relocate Rentfro, because I purchased 2 knives from him back in 96. Yeah, I know, a long time ago. One of the two been my tool of choice on many elk, and far more deer. I have never used the other knife, and no longer see a reason to continue holding on to it, "because I might use it one day." Simply put, if I haven't used it by now, it is not happening. I have several interested-potential buyers, but I'd like to know, and they really want to know the materials the blade is crafted from. In the end, all I know is that the other knife is very capable of shaving the hair off my arm, and cutting a piece of paper is half, while I'm holding the paper in mid air. I think that it's probable, that since I purchased both knives on the same day/location, the blades may have been forged out of the same steel, and there ends my very limited knowledge.
Thank you, SC

Nedbushcrafte, thank you for your time and efforts, helping me locate/find Kelly Rentfro. I know that he is in Idaho, near Geneva, and on U.S. 89. Unfortunately, he is not listed in either the Geneva, Montpelier, or Cookeville, WY., phone books. As I've said, I had the good fortune to buy two of his knives in 96. I've used one a great deal during the last twenty years, and have never used the other. I know, go figure, but I've decided to sell the knife, and I'm trying to learn what type of steel the blades are made from.
I do really appreciate the help and efforts that have been made to help me reconnect with Kelly Rentfro. If anyone has any ideas on how to use the info we have, and get an address, or phone number, or give him my phone number or address, I'm all ears.
Thank you all

Not knocking custom knife makers or anyone who wants to spend a fortune on a knife but my Hultafors HD will do anything custom/expensive knives will do and in some cases better. Being a keen angler I believe in the old adage that fancy floats catch more anglers than they do fish

Not knocking custom knife makers or anyone who wants to spend a fortune on a knife but my Hultafors HD will do anything custom/expensive knives will do and in some cases better. Being a keen angler I believe in the old adage that fancy floats catch more anglers than they do fish

I agree, and for fishing I've gone to these, nothing to go wrong, wind in and flick out ;)

image.jpeg

Twenty years ago I purchased two great knives from Mr. Rentfro, and I still have both of them. I am trying to reconnect with Mr. Rentfro. I believe he may be in Geneva, ID., on U.S. 89. If anyone can provide any more specific information, I'd appreciate it, ie; a phone number, or any other way to reconnect.

Thank you for any help,
Standing Crane

The original owner who sold you that knive was Delbert Rentfro of Cookeville Wyoming and he was my grandfather, he has since passed back in 08. I am interested in those knives if you decide to sell them.

Thank you for any help,
Standing Crane
I don’t think Kelly made those knives it would have be his dad delbert my great grandpa. Kelly lives inbetween star valley and bear lake. It’s on the west side of the road with a motorcycle sign I believe. If you still have that knife please let me know I would love to have one of my grandpas knives. He passed away a little while back when I was 8

Back