• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife handle

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
Hi all I have been given a nice little knife blank that has no handle, I was wondering what is the best thing for me to do to get a decent handle.
I would like to do a nice wooden handle but don't want to go buying big lumps of hardwood just for a handle.
Any ideas ?

here is a pic

IMAG0558.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 142
find a local woodworking workshop and ask if they got any off cuts they would let you have or buy. the bespoke furniture company i use to work for had off cuts of most species of wood from all over the word another option is a wood turner's shop, they should sell turning blanks of all shapes and sizes. good luck with your search

Just cut a piece of oak/ash/yew/birch/sycamore/beech etc, stick it in the microwave to dry it out ( if its green.) 2 mins at a time on a medium heat and weigh each time. When you get 2 weights the same in a row, you know you have removed all the moisture.

I have loads of nice handle materials if you want to buy some from me. ;)

Thanks both, I went and had a good look around my shed yesterday and found this old wooden box and the bottom was well thick enough for what I wanted.
Not sure what wood it is but it is hardwood for sure.
So cut a few bits and started to shape them already.
Still got alot of filing and sanding to do but starting to get the basic shape now. :)

A few pics of what I done so far.

IMAG0565.jpg IMAG0560.jpg IMAG0568.jpg IMAG0571.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0560.jpg
    IMAG0560.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0568.jpg
    IMAG0568.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAG0571.jpg
    IMAG0571.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 160
How thick are those scales lol :). Your gonna have fun getting them down to size. :D

How thick are those scales lol :). Your gonna have fun getting them down to size. :D

Already done, still got lots to do on it but getting there.

IMAG0573.jpg IMAG0572.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0572.jpg
    IMAG0572.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG0573.jpg
    IMAG0573.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 160
Finished it off today, it's not the best but it will do and ok for my first attempt. Well I am happy with it.

IMAG0592.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0592.jpg
    IMAG0592.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 160
Not a bad effort Gazo. Looks ok, and if its comfortable then its all good.

If you want any advice on future projects mate, feel free to drop me a PM.

I make blades and knife kits as well as fully assembled knives, Only £40 a blade ;) lol :D

Cheers mate I might look into buying a kit at some point as I do enjoy having a fiddle in the shed :p :)

looks good gazo the main thing is mate you have made it and that you should be proud of ;)

youv'e got a new competitor on the market mark! not bad gazo

Ha Ha I would not go that far, but I do enjoy doing stuff like that and always willing to learn from the master. :) I will try another one soon the next one should be better ;)

Back