• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife identification please

dmwboatboy

Quite Talkative
While chatting to an old boy I know a few days ago I mentioned the Galok my wife brought me for Christmas. He said I've got a couple of old knifes you can have for hacking about with if you want as he won't use them anymore. I didn't think much more of it, well today he dropped these of to me. He didn't know much about them but he had been given them some years ago by a friend of his and used them for hacking in the garden.
The Galok blade has 1993 stamped into.
The other knife is very unusual looking with some odd etching on one side. The case it's in looks to be very old leather and the handle looks hand calved with metal inlays. It also has a small little accessory blade with it.
IMG_20230104_180334.jpg
IMG_20230104_180412.jpg
IMG_20230104_180447.jpg
IMG_20230104_180505.jpg

It’s a kukri, ask Joe Cole about this one. He’s the one with first hand knowledge of the Gurkha regiments. There should be two small blades with it. One sharp and one blunt, the blunt one is for sharpening the other blades.
I don’t know if that is the military issue, it doesn’t look like it.

Last edited:
Only one little knife with it. Is there a way to tag Joe into this post? Would be great to identify it.

Morning all, That kukri was probably made in India for the tourist market and is more for display than for daily use. My military issue kukri has no etching on the blade or decoration on the handle. The two main styles of knife are the Sirupate which predominantly comes from the East of Nepal and has a lot slimmer blade (Ask one shot William to post a photo of the one I gave him) East Nepal borders India which is why I think that knife was made there

Morning all, That kukri was probably made in India for the tourist market and is more for display than for daily use. My military issue kukri has no etching on the blade or decoration on the handle. The two main styles of knife are the Sirupate which predominantly comes from the East of Nepal and has a lot slimmer blade (Ask one shot William to post a photo of the one I gave him) East Nepal borders India which is why I think that knife was made there
Thank you venerable one, truly you are a font of knowledge 🙌

It’s a kukri, ask Joe Cole about this one. He’s the one with first hand knowledge of the Gurkha regiments. There should be two small blades with it. One sharp and one blunt, the blunt one is for sharpening the other blades.
I don’t know if that is the military issue, it doesn’t look like it.
The small sharp blade is actually a skinning knife Mike. Just in front of the handle there is a half circular cut out. On the boatboys' blade the cut out is to big and lacks the centre spike

20230105_171513.jpg

This is a military issue kukri, if you look closely at the notch just below the handle you will see a little spike. That spike is designed to let the blood drip off so that you don't get to much on your hand

Attachments

• 20230105_171543.jpg
    20230105_171543.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I’ve seen the big ceremonial ones as well, neither military issue nor tourist souvenir. Big enough to chop a horses head off.
They're the ones used to lop a buffalos head off and it has to be done with one cut. The poor old buff has his neck stretched out tight to make the head come off easily. My issue one is mare than adequate to take off a goats head

They're the ones used to lop a buffalos head off and it has to be done with one cut. The poor old buff has his neck stretched out tight to make the head come off easily. My issue one is mare than adequate to take off a goats head
For mare read more

View attachment 117061
This is a military issue kukri, if you look closely at the notch just below the handle you will see a little spike. That spike is designed to let the blood drip off so that you don't get to much on your hand
Now that`s a proper Kukri, the first one in @dmwboatboy`s photo was ornamental which when I was a lad :)whistle: many years ago) you could buy down Regent Road, Gt Yarmouth gift shops in many size`s for next to nothing. agree other one looks like a Asian skinning type knife.

Now that`s a proper Kukri, the first one in @dmwboatboy`s photo was ornamental which when I was a lad :)whistle: many years ago) you could buy down Regent Road, Gt Yarmouth gift shops in many size`s for next to nothing. agree other one looks like a Asian skinning type knife.
Agreed RW no genuine kukri has those embellishments on then, I saw a lot of kanjir knives in the Yemen with the same decoration on them

Thanks for the information. it's hard to see in the pictures but the pattern on the blade looks as if it has been done alot more recently.

I’m not sure that the machete is the Military issie one; the issue Gollock made by martindale has a 13” blade which has the crocodile stamped on it; It’s also too long to fit in the scabbard shown which is the outer scabbard for an SA80 bayonet frog. Realistically as long as it chops the stuff you want it to chop it’s academic.

Back