• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife identification please

Martindale themselves are pretty insistent that they have only made one design with a 13” blade.

It's not a Martindale, now I look it is "Styled on the original British army machete" with a 26cm blade. The larger one is Martindale No2 with the crocodile and the MOD arrow on it.

Ralph-Martindale have produced a lot of weird stuff for agriculture over the years if you look at their catalog but the military spec stuff came from several different manufacturers over the years...some made from far better steel than Martindale, a lot of them are knocking about in mis matched sheathes because stuff gets lost, damaged or swapped about.

Fundamentally unless you’re planning on selling it as some form of rare item as long as it chops stuff then it doesn’t matter. All the issue ones are pretty much the same; there was a brief issue of a para machete which was shorter and a different shape but the standard gollock is pretty universal issue.

Years ago my brother gave me a huge Khukuri knife, Pretty certain it was a tourist piece as I was chopping wood with it and when i'd finished the handle was bent back at a strange angle, It was very cheaply made with a whisker thin hidden tang, It went in the bin!!

I still have a couple of what I think are tourist pieces 👍

YZz0AnC.jpg

vNyDEwP.jpg

G0tQbk0.jpg

This small one seems really well made, I was told on the old British Blades site where in Nepal it was made and the name of it but that was years ago and I forgot!

oeiGTUP.jpg

WL1kX0R.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have a couple more but can't find pics of them!

John 🙂

Back