• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife purchase advice.

WolfsHead

Extremely Talkative
Its not far off the time where I'm reminded I've survived another trip around the sun. The family are already asking me for present ideas and I figured getring them to club together and get a new knife might be nice. Ive settled on the tbs wolverine in stabilised curly birch as giving nice water resistance plus aesthetics. The question is whether I go for a flat grind with secondary bevel or the scandi grind. Im not a sharpening ninja but ive not wrecked my mora companion yet, so not a total cluts either.

Use wise it would be fairly general. More general camp based wood work than game prep though there will be some here and there. I don't tend to batten wood. I'm wondering whether people would recommend giving the flat grind a whirl or sticking with a scandi grind. I also dont get bags of time to maintain as much as I would like so maybe the slightly less high maintenance flat with secondary bevel would be better.

What's the thoughts of people who ha e experience of both?

I realise this is probably well trodden ground here so thats why I included my personal uses etc of it.

Wood processing i would go for scandi,besides you are used to your mora.
Personally i would leave the trail and error of learning to sharpen a fg and which edge angle suits you on a cheaper purchase

I've got a few knives for sale that will suit better than the wolverine. 4mm is too thick if you don't intend to batton with it. Better with a scandi grind for woodwork. A well done scandi can be kept razor sharp with just a quick strop after each use, with the full flat and secondary its harder to keep the original angle unless you have proper sharpening gear that holds angles for you such as the lansky system..

Last edited:
So much about knives is down to personal preferences and what you're used to that I wouldn't ever reccomend one knife over another. The only advice I'm willing to give is never spend more than you are willing to lose if plod takes a shine to it and it gets confiscated. (Bear in mind, even if you think you have reasonable cause to carry a fixed blade, if it ever gets confiscated your chances of getting it back are close to zero)

Back