• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife Restoration

Ark79

Site Manager
A few weeks ago I acquired a knife from @Matt
6E707561-7ED1-48A4-A4CC-3E1FB53393AF.jpeg
EEE0F489-BF15-4890-933F-C45E28E71CA5.jpeg
EE4D379A-96E6-4837-A919-496C7AE78572.jpeg
EAB5E066-8B83-4476-8F7C-C01108EE673A.jpeg

it’s needing a little TLC lol. So with my free time tonight I thought why not have a go, might not be everyone’s cup of tea but I love nothing more than tinkering with things 🤔
Started of with the sharpening stone then onto a rust eraser block followed by 300 grit all the way up to 5000, oh and a plaster for me thumb 😟
FCC19AAA-9CB9-4FDC-B0EA-ACF98CFB03DE.jpeg
7F39854B-CF8B-4B4F-B388-03F951146BAE.jpeg
15E8E6C4-D07A-4C25-A3AA-99DC2891577E.jpeg
B906F669-D5FD-4F9A-9175-22E90C9FFAAB.jpeg
2821B9A7-8517-4745-AB2E-AEE3D3B56B8F.jpeg
7B5A16F5-5E4A-479B-AA1F-916AC4AF4375.jpeg

only one side done 👍🏻

Crikey ! A Mark Hill knife. I've got 2 of those, I don't know if he still makes knives now, I believe he became unwell and seemed to drop off the knife making scene. You did well to rescue that one, Mark 👍
This one is booked for my Great Grandson one day.
P1040708.JPG
P1040714.JPG

A few weeks ago I acquired a knife from @Matt View attachment 30959View attachment 30960View attachment 30962View attachment 30961

it’s needing a little TLC lol. So with my free time tonight I thought why not have a go, might not be everyone’s cup of tea but I love nothing more than tinkering with things 🤔
Started of with the sharpening stone then onto a rust eraser block followed by 300 grit all the way up to 5000, oh and a plaster for me thumb 😟View attachment 30968View attachment 30969View attachment 30970View attachment 30971View attachment 30972View attachment 30973
only one side done 👍🏻
A very nice job Mark, the pitting was quite deep but you've done a fine job of burnishing it out. A sneaky trick is to use a small tank of an electrolyte, two electrodes and a car battery to remove any and all rust by electrolysis. I've done this on the more valuable folding pocket knives in the past, it has the added benefit of getting the rust out of every crevice just leaving bare steel...(expecting a sheriff's badge joke here)

@Ark79

Doing a good job on that Mark.......looking much better :thumbsup:

Just a thought........might be worth investing in something like this to make life a bit easier....maybe?

Would certainly help to polish out the scratches and possibly the smaller pits........I suppose it depends on how far you want to take the restoration 🤔:)

Or if you have a bench grinder a bigger mop and paste perhaps?

Looking good mate........would pay you and be safer...... to blunt the blade while working on it :whistle: :rofl:

Last edited:
A very nice job Mark, the pitting was quite deep but you've done a fine job of burnishing it out. A sneaky trick is to use a small tank of an electrolyte, two electrodes and a car battery to remove any and all rust by electrolysis. I've done this on the more valuable folding pocket knives in the past, it has the added benefit of getting the rust out of every crevice just leaving bare steel...(expecting a sheriff's badge joke here)

Cheers Mike 👍🏻
I’ve watched a few YouTube vids on what your talking about, not a bad idea... would have to come up with a way to suspend the blade in without the wood touching the electrolytes right enough 🤔

@Ark79

Doing a good job on that Mark.......looking much better :thumbsup:

Just a thought........might be worth investing in something like this to make life a bit easier....maybe?

Would certainly help to polish out the scratches and possibly the smaller pits........I suppose it depends on how far you want to take the restoration 🤔:)

Or if you have a bench grinder a bigger mop and paste perhaps?

Looking good mate........would pay you and be safer...... to blunt the blade while working on it :whistle: :rofl:

safety first bill 😂

as it happens, I bought a set last week for gav’s frero rod, should be here on Saturday 👍🏻

👍 You really need to stop cutting yourself Mark, the blood damages the surface of the steel....pro'lly never get it properly shiny if you keep on slicing your own digits open.

👍 You really need to stop cutting yourself Mark, the blood damages the surface of the steel....pro'lly never get it properly shiny if you keep on slicing your own digits open.

That did occur to me Mike 😂

Back