• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knife Sharpening

Just seen this on 'da tube', seems pretty simple, anyone tried anything similar ?????

a know it works, but it’s metal on metal so you run the risk of spoiling the heat treatment on the edge, nice gimmick if that’s all you have, personally a would use a rock in the garden before I used this lol

At sea it was common to run your knife down a wire rigging stay a couple of times to freshen up the cutting edge before cutting rope. Seemed to work...The follow up video to the one you posted Bam, seems to dismiss the nut and bolt trick but maybe it depends on the nut/knife steel being used?

At sea it was common to run your knife down a wire rigging stay a couple of times to freshen up the cutting edge before cutting rope. Seemed to work...The follow up video to the one you posted Bam, seems to dismiss the nut and bolt trick but maybe it depends on the nut/knife steel being used?
Another one I've seen and is well worth knowing is using a car door glass, wind the window down then use the top edge of the glass to sharpen the blade. I guarantee that literally within seconds your knife will be
shaving sharp

Another one I've seen and is well worth knowing is using a car door glass, wind the window down then use the top edge of the glass to sharpen the blade. I guarantee that literally within seconds your knife will be
shaving sharp

The edges of the car windows work surprisingly well joe, all depends on how bad the edge of the knife is right enough,

The edges of the car windows work surprisingly well joe, all depends on how bad the edge of the knife is right enough,
I usually use a steel Mark and never let

/
I usually use a small steel Mark and never let my knives get blunt. For my small carving set I use Wendy's nail files, the dark grey ones which are very fine on one side and slightly courser on the other3

I use a longe oval axe stone, rough’ish stone, then take the knife to 1500 grit paper wrapped around a pice of 2”x1” then onto the strop, rough side of the leather with compound on it, finishing the edge on the topside of the leather, shaving sharp joe, I only use the oval stone if my edges are bad.... practice makes perfect in this situation

I use a range of different grades of carborundum stone, different grades of wet and dry and a strop with a thin smear of autosol to polish. If I can't shave the hairs off my forearm in one pass it isn't sharp.
While steel does sharpen steel in this way it does it by shearing away surface metal in one cut leaving a messy ragged edge, rather like those knife sharpeners with little steel wheels in that grandparents used to have on the kitchen wall. Fast but nasty.
image.jpeg

Another old way of getting a razor sharp edge without grinding is to pein or peen the edge of the steel using hammer and anvil although this was a lot more common in pre war agricultural tools.

I've seen a Hedge Layer do that on an old Bill Hook. Hammer and the ball towing hook on a Land Rover as the Anvil. just to knock a few 'Dings' out of the blade edge though, I think.

It isn't just to thin down the edge of the blade, peenning/peining work hardens the steel so that sharpening with the stone achieves a lasting hard edge with tougher unhardened steel behind it.

Last edited:
🤣 Love it, seeing that would make the Bush Craft knife Gurus have heart failure.

Back