• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knifes and other edged tools

Hi Baytree.

Same as you I am leaning more towards a small hatchet for work around camp.....carving.....prepping food etc even gutting and cleaning game.
There is not a lot that cant be done with a small hatchet in place of a knife........heavier to carry maybe.

Talking of knives instead of buying a pointed one go for a blunt one instead.....the Police may take a different view for the potential to cause harm??

Not sure I could do that to my falkniven 😂

Joking aside.....that could be the way to go bill haven’t seen that before.. and as you said the police could take a different view

Last edited by a moderator:
In re-enactment for battles we have the one pound coin rule ( the old round one rather than the fancy new one). That defines the point and edge of a weapon , no spear point sharper than a pound coin and sword blades about as sharp as the edge of the coin. It doesn't fully prevent accidents , that's more down to training and technique but it helps with safety . It does of course render the weapon effffectively useless for anything else of course , but then we have knives and axes that are sharp that don't go near the battlefield . Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

In re-enactment for battles we have the one pound coin rule ( the old round one rather than the fancy new one). That defines the point and edge of a weapon , no spear point sharper than a pound coin and sword blades about as sharp as the edge of the coin. It doesn't fully prevent accidents , that's more down to training and technique but it helps with safety . It does of course render the weapon effffectively useless for anything else of course , but then we have knives and axes that are sharp that don't go near the battlefield . Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Good rule mate 👍 Always wanted to do re-enactment. Probably will when I slow down some. Ie work lol.....

Just wait a bit longer.

After a couple of years our normal camping equipment becomes interesting historical stuff.

;0)

Good rule mate 👍 Always wanted to do re-enactment. Probably will when I slow down some. Ie work lol.....
I've heard it called camping with the added joy of having a fight with the neighbours before going down the pub. It's a bit of an irony that a lot of us are getting a bit long in the tooth when we reenact a period where average lifespans were less than now. Another comment along those lines says that the older and fatter a re-enactor gets the more elite the unit they will represent.

Don't get me started! Two knives confiscated and destroyed, two cautions.
Both within legal limits, both times I was on the way back from camping. It's gotten silly. Some kind of registration process is needed.
Along the lines of name, address, description of tools carried and reason. Photo license type thing that you can show plod. But it should be low cost and not so stupidly regulated that it restricts. It's like I can't get a firearms licence because of the medication I am on. I don't suffer from depression, but it's used for a different purpose but because I'm on it, I'm not even considerable material for firearms. When they regulate something only certain people can get in, when they don't regulate it's chaos! You can't win. No happy medium

Don't get me started! Two knives confiscated and destroyed, two cautions.
Both within legal limits, both times I was on the way back from camping. It's gotten silly. Some kind of registration process is needed.
Along the lines of name, address, description of tools carried and reason. Photo license type thing that you can show plod. But it should be low cost and not so stupidly regulated that it restricts. It's like I can't get a firearms licence because of the medication I am on. I don't suffer from depression, but it's used for a different purpose but because I'm on it, I'm not even considerable material for firearms. When they regulate something only certain people can get in, when they don't regulate it's chaos! You can't win. No happy medium

It would be much easier for the police and us to show some sort of id to say we are carrying a tool with an edge for purposes. Hunting,camping etc.

Small background check and sign here mr smith and job is a goodun

So email the idea to your local MP, they're the law makers. They're not going to reverse the changes that they've made but they may clarify what would constitute a lawful reason to carry an edged tool or blade. Don't expect an immediate response and be prepared to badger them a little with a series of short well written messages that make your point clearly and politely make it clear that you expect a reply.

Incidentally, another post some time back mentioned a Benjamin Air Bow that has a foot-poundage that makes my .22lr look silly. Totally legal and needs no licence. The only real restriction is that you can't hunt with it in the UK or carry it openly in a public place. You can however carry it if it's securely covered in a way that would prevent it from being fired and not loaded....yet you can't carry a fixed blade at the bottom of your pack...🤔

I've heard it called camping with the added joy of having a fight with the neighbours before going down the pub. It's a bit of an irony that a lot of us are getting a bit long in the tooth when we reenact a period where average lifespans were less than now. Another comment along those lines says that the older and fatter a re-enactor gets the more elite the unit they will represent.
Lets me out then cos I'm old and skinny

So email the idea to your local MP, they're the law makers. They're not going to reverse the changes that they've made but they may clarify what would constitute a lawful reason to carry an edged tool or blade. Don't expect an immediate response and be prepared to badger them a little with a series of short well written messages that make your point clearly and politely make it clear that you expect a reply.

A shall pass my good man :D Prefer to just moan about it to yous guys lol

shooters can only carry there guns by there side on private land they would have no reason to carry a cased gun on public land. i would assume this would go for a non legal knife as well. when travelling i always keep my knives in a pack/ bag until i reach my destination, if im out for a walk on public land i may take a small on locking penknife with me ,again in my pack. unfortunately with all the attention to knife crime most people who do not use a knife tend to jump to the wrong conclusions .

A shall pass my good man :D Prefer to just moan about it to yous guys lol

If its something you feel passionate about then you need to make a pain in the arse of yourself. I'm really not a 'committee kind of a cat' but I've managed to get some local things sorted by persistence. Haven't won all my 'battles' right enough but I keep plugging away.

Exactly! If you never tell the buggers what you want it's unfair to blame them when they get it wrong. If enough people start blagging them to do something it may just mean that they sit up and take notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bam
If its something you feel passionate about then you need to make a pain in the arse of yourself. I'm really not a 'committee kind of a cat' but I've managed to get some local things sorted by persistence. Haven't won all my 'battles' right enough but I keep plugging away.

Fair point mate. Had a few of them battles myself lol. This one however is a no win situation imo. It would take thousands upon thousands of signatures and a willing mp or msp to announce it to parliament.... not sure there are any out there that would?

Exactly! If you never tell the buggers what you want it's unfair to blame them when they get it wrong. If enough people start blagging them to do something may it just mean that they sit up and take notice.

It would have to be enough of us tho.....as them buggers don’t take notice to much.

Still you are right if no one tells them then how do they know.... sent a few letters to my mp and msp and council...(not about this topic) shouldn’t be as hard as it is to get something done right..

So go on every bushcrafter forum that you can think of and start blagging them to contact their MP. You have had a good idea, now it's time to run with it.

It’s worth a thought buddy but for me it’s not worth the time at the moment.....I do put my money where my mouth is....just way to busy to take anything on.
But I appreciate your encouragement ystranc genuinely 👍

Would like a go at changing the law tho 🆒

Fair point mate. Had a few of them battles myself lol. This one however is a no win situation imo. It would take thousands upon thousands of signatures and a willing mp or msp to announce it to parliament.... not sure there are any out there that would?

Not trying to be a dick but this is how things stay the same. I seem to have the reputation locally (very locally) to get things done. Unfortunately that means people will come and moan at me and when I suggest they complain themselves I often get "that sounds like a lot of hassle" which boils my piss. I'd like it if somebody could magically make things the way I want but its unlikely. If you want to change things and if nobody else is then you have nothing to lose by going for it yourself, always easier if you can get others onboard. Worst case, you're no worse off than you are now, go and have a moan mate.

Not trying to be a dick but this is how things stay the same. I seem to have the reputation locally (very locally) to get things done. Unfortunately that means people will come and moan at me and when I suggest they complain themselves I often get "that sounds like a lot of hassle" which boils my piss. I'd like it if somebody could magically make things the way I want but its unlikely. If you want to change things and if nobody else is then you have nothing to lose by going for it yourself, always easier if you can get others onboard. Worst case, you're no worse off than you are now, go and have a moan mate.

Nothing wrong with a dick...it’s a good tool;)

Wish I had the time bam.....a like a challenge as much as a like simplicity :D :D Something for the future Maby. Love a good moan as well 🤣

Back