• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knocked up a bird table..

Forager

Slightly Addicted
It's not the best but it will do the job nicely. Thought I would venture outside even though its -2. My little garden friends have somewhere else to feed from.
20221213_142049.jpg

We stopped feeding in the garden because it was attracting rats and a lot of pigeons but I've left quite a few apples on the tree out there and it is attracting blackbirds and a couple of crows are feeding on them as well. That's a nice bit of woodwork and good size feeder.

It's not the best but it will do the job nicely. Thought I would venture outside even though its -2. My little garden friends have somewhere else to feed from.
View attachment 116777
Jon my mother in law is as ugly as sin but she's a brilliant cook. I don't think your bird friends will give two tweets about how the table looks as long as the food is good. Anyway I don't think the table looks that bad

Because we keep chickens we’ve have stopped feeding the wild birds all in one place because of bird flu warnings, we have been advised not to feed but what we have done instead is to spread stored apples around near to trees and hedges as far from the chicken run as possible so that the birds don’t all gather in one place. Putting feeders near trees helps wild birds feel safer as they feed. Wheat, sheep nuts and mixed poultry corn seem to be especially prized by the wild birds because there is almost no wild food left here now. The Holly berries and sloes have been completely stripped from the trees. The late apples like Christmas pearmain have been eaten on the trees by blackbirds. I haven’t made any cider this autumn, the apples have mainly gone to the birds.

Years ago I made a bird table for an aunt and it was built as a half constructed timber framed building. At the time it seemed appropriate as I worked on similar buildings for real. I'm not sure whatever became of it to be honest. Nowadays I have an offcut of ply nailed to the top of a post. Nowhere near as attractive but I don't think the birds are actually bothered what it looks like , they're only interested in the food.
Saying that forager's bird table looks pretty decent to me and certainly better than my bit of ply...

Back