• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knot and lashings

Bushcraft Rob

Very Addicted
Have spent many many days, months out in the woods with like minded people and one thing that frustrates me is the lack of knowledge of the said post, they spend hours making something and the thing that lets them down is their knots or lashing. If you were to do a search on knots there is one for most uses, use the correct knot or lashing for the situation. Which ones do use on a regular basis ?

Clove hitch I've used left right and centre for building and lashing tripods and with a stop knot on the end for tieing stuff off to take some strain on the other end.

I've seen tripod lashings done various ways. We used to tie one end off one with a clove hitch with stop knot then go under over under over the pinepoles and back over under etc with them lay right up along side each other and then tighten those bonds by wrapping the rope around around the bonds in between the poles at 90 degrees from their previous direction of travel then flipping the middle pole over it's length so it's sticking out in the other direction from the other two. The remaining length will then be hanging down in the centre as you lift the legs up to form a tripod. Suspended all sorts off of them. That last flip of the pole really tightens up the bonds holding it all together. Much easier to demonstrate than write the method mind you.

I've seen tripod lashings done various ways. We used to tie one end off one with a clove hitch with stop knot then go under over under over the pinepoles and back over under etc with them lay right up along side each other and then tighten those bonds by wrapping the rope around around the bonds in between the poles at 90 degrees from their previous direction of travel then flipping the middle pole over it's length so it's sticking out in the other direction from the other two. The remaining length will then be hanging down in the centre as you lift the legs up to form a tripod. Suspended all sorts off of them. That last flip of the pole really tightens up the bonds holding it all together. Much easier to demonstrate than write the method mind you.
spot on mate as you said easier to do and less time, than explain

One of the most useful lashing I find when constructing shelters is the square lashing, two knots involved clove hitch and reef knot along with the lashing its self, simple and quick and well sturdy if done correct.

Back