• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Koolyomka (siberian deadfall trap)

abreed05

Slightly Talkative
So one of my buddies favorite documentaries is Happy People: A Year in the Taiga. If you have never seen it, it's a documentary that follows a bunch of trappers that live in the siberian taiga. In the documentary they use a trap known as the koolyomka (a type of deadfall). Well for our youtube channel we wanted to try it out and make it.

Please note that if you watch the video there is typically 2 ways of making this trap the first is to use 2 trees Like shown here.

tumblr_mw2956KIR01qbvm95o3_500_zpshetwxscf.png

The other is to use a few long stakes to secure the 2 logs on top of each other. For our video we used the stake method as we did not want to kill trees unnecessarily. You can check it out below.

So one of my buddies favorite documentaries is Happy People: A Year in the Taiga. If you have never seen it, it's a documentary that follows a bunch of trappers that live in the siberian taiga. In the documentary they use a trap known as the koolyomka (a type of deadfall). Well for our youtube channel we wanted to try it out and make it.

Please note that if you watch the video there is typically 2 ways of making this trap the first is to use 2 trees Like shown here.

tumblr_mw2956KIR01qbvm95o3_500_zpshetwxscf.png

The other is to use a few long stakes to secure the 2 logs on top of each other. For our video we used the stake method as we did not want to kill trees unnecessarily. You can check it out below.

That's a great video mate but not the kind of trap that I think would be used much on this side of the pond. My own preference would be for spring snares. I've also set fishing lines that will spring and bring the hooked fish clear of the water

Yeah I live in the states so I'm sure it would probably be a little more effective over here, and yeah the spring pole fishing trap is awesome. Haven't actually gotten to set up on of those yet but definitely want to try it.

Yeah I live in the states so I'm sure it would probably be a little more effective over here, and yeah the spring pole fishing trap is awesome. Haven't actually gotten to set up on of those yet but definitely want to try it.
Its a a great way for night lining for big trout, I use a size eight barbed hook and 20 pound braid these days and big lobworm baits because instead of a trout I hooked what I assume was a pike and it smashed me up. You can't beat trout grilled over the campfire for breakfast

Yeah Pike are nasty, and no you can't. Trout anytime of the day is a good day

Yeah Pike are nasty, and no you can't. Trout anytime of the day is a good day
Pike cooked properly are very good eating, yeah they can taste a bit muddy and definitely have a lot of bones but stuff the cavity with rosemary, lemon thyme and a handful of fresh mint wrap it in clay and bake it in the embers

Oh I meant that they were nasty as in they have a bad temperment lol. I've never eaten one to know what they taste like, but I'll take your word on how to prepare them and if I catch one anytime in the near future I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out!

Oh I meant that they were nasty as in they have a bad temperment lol. I've never eaten one to know what they taste like, but I'll take your word on how to prepare them and if I catch one anytime in the near future I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out!
You'll be pleasantly surprised. We can't keep using your profile name so what do we call you

Its a a great way for night lining for big trout, I use a size eight barbed hook and 20 pound braid these days and big lobworm baits because instead of a trout I hooked what I assume was a pike and it smashed me up. You can't beat trout grilled over the campfire for breakfast

Now that's a breakfast joe . A nice wild browny with some garlic butter and black pepper ;)

Hi Aaron.

Good post mate thanks for sharing :thumbsup:...( Pun intended )
What kind of prey would you hope to catch in the trap?
What do you trap the most over there?

In my area, you would most likely be catching small animals like raccoon, squirrel, or Marten.

Just a small caveat on this thread as it was being viewed by a guest;
Improvised traps like the Koolyomka (which are designed to kill) do not appear on the approved traps list and are not legal to use in the UK, neither are spring snares or locking snares.
DEFRA publishes guidelines on trapping in line with legislation such as the "pest act","ground game act" and "the wildlife and countryside act".
It's important to not just conform to the law but to be seen to obey the spirit of the law because all forms of trapping are constantly under scrutiny from an unsympathetic general public.

(Slight detour)
I’ve often wondered when reading threads like this on the view of survival, if lost in the uk (unlikely I know however) what would the view be on trapping or hunting with a makeshift bow and arrow to survive until rescue or self rescue 🤷🏼‍♂️

would traps like mentioned above be looked at as necessary and special leniency giving ?

or like uk knife laws , there may be grey areas

(Slight detour)
I’ve often wondered when reading threads like this on the view of survival, if lost in the uk (unlikely I know however) what would the view be on trapping or hunting with a makeshift bow and arrow to survive until rescue or self rescue 🤷🏼‍♂️

would traps like mentioned above be looked at as necessary and special leniency giving ?

or like uk knife laws , there may be grey areas
Mark in a given survival scenario I don't really think that there will be to many inspectors out and about checking your traps or methods of taking game, and controversially in a survival situation sheep and lambs become game and I sure as hell won't have an abattoire in my back pocket

Back